RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Don!!!![cl[cl[cl[cl[cl Knew you'd get it figured out!
You can get that goldish carb paint from Eastwood to make them all match.

Leave it running on the one middle carb only :):):) Ask me how I know, 90% of the 3x2 setup out there are running on the one center carb with the the two end carbs blocked off with plugged fuel lines & all throttle linkage hooked up. It's all about the look [cl[cl[cl. One two bbl in that light ride will get you in all the trouble you need. Congrads [P[P[P

Thanks guys, I am going to sleep pretty well tonight, I am so over working on this thing and spending money on top of money, and it looks like the end of the long road finally.

Bamamav, that is a good suggestion. I will look at that paint.

Thanks, that saves me a lot of searching. I think I will go the $19.99 route first. Like I said, the color is really not far off of the end two carbs, the pictures make it worse than it is. I am also not a "perfectionist" and after a little time these carbs will all age somewhat anyway.

But I think I will do the spray color route you provided anyway. Thanks again.

I couldn't be happier for you Don - you persevered and did it! A good lesson for the rest of us, not to give up. Thanks for sharing your wins and losses, it take a big man to do that.

Thanks guys, all of your suggestions and support got me through this mess. It makes me humble to see that some people get 6 or 8 carbs running on an engine.

It's too bad that Rock Auto has such horrible customer support and you can't even speak to a human being there when you have some issue like I had with that one carb I got from them. 90% of the time, their stuff is ok and it can be a lot cheaper, but when something like this happens you are hung out to dry.

But all of that seems to be behind me now, and today, before I go to my ex's house for Thanksgiving dinner, I am going to wipe down the car, move it outside, and take some pictures to send to Grundy.

Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone.

Don, I think that's why Rock Auto can sell so cheap. No employees hired for customer service.

I'm happy for you that the carb situation is resolved. We are all waiting for that photo shoot, and video.

Thanks Bob and Bruno. I think you are right, Bob, about how RA keeps their prices low by having no support staff. Some years ago, I bought some parts from them for my Mustang project and I sent back the cores. They credited me for a cheaper part than I had returned, and I could not get any help from them to get the correct credit I was due.

So, a member on the HAMB heard my story and said he is best friends with the President of RA, and asked if I wanted him to contact him about my problem. Of course, I said "YES", and a day later I got a call from a very apologetic RA employee who said he researched my return and was issuing the correct credit to me immediately. I guess it is who you know that gets things done in this world ! Haha.

Well, I have a little more to my saga on my roadster pickup. Today I went to the shop and "borrowed" the license plate off of my 27 so I could take the rpu down the road a little further to get some miles on it. (I know, not the right thing to do, but traffic was light and I didn't go far)

At first the car ran great, but the further I went the rougher it was running, and at the end it was stalling at red lights ! I limped home and cranked down the fuel pressure because I pulled a plug and it was BLACK with carbon. After doing that, I happened to look at the center carb and I had used some wire to hold the choke open, but I had actually wired it backwards, so once I stepped on the gas the choke slammed shut and I was driving with it totally closed the whole time !

So, I parked it, will put in clean plugs tomorrow, wire the choke the right way, and see if it goes back to running good again. I think my 27 was mad at me for building another car, and that license plate was cursed ! Either that, or I am just stupid and don't know how to wired a choke open.

My project today was to fix the screwup I created yesterday with the choke being closed, so I stopped at the auto store and picked up a new set of spark plugs because I didn't want to rely on the used plugs even after I would sandblast them clean. This is spark plug set number 4 !

When I pulled out the existing plugs they were BLACK and really fouled, so I put the new ones in and then I fixed the choke on the center carb so it will never close again. I drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the carb body and put a screw into the hole so it is really locked up now. When I started the car it was running better but still a little rough, so I took it out and put a few miles on it. The more I drove it the more it cleaned out.

I also picked up a bottle of Ring Free and put a heavy dose into the fuel tank, that should clean out some of the carbon in there the more I drive. I also dialed in a little more toe in and the car tracks a lot better now, but the tires still need balanced and I will do that next week after I put the real plates on the car. I also adjusted the headlights down a little, people were flashing their headlights at me even when I was on low beam.

So, now the car idles smoothly at 500 rpms, and it has a lot of power going down the road. It runs at about 180 degrees and everything seems to work fine. The rear has settled down an inch or so, and I like it better there anyway, so I will see if it stays there or gets even lower as I drive it more.

Next stop, Grundy Insurance on Monday and then the DMV.

Good for you Don, and good luck on the next fights you face.
Am I ever glad that you write all this stuff down, Don. I live vicariously through you. Today, I go out to the shop and probably wire my choke one way or the other. This is a '51 Merc motor with it's original carb going on it so it has a weird choke set-up that might not hook up to my choke cable. You say I should be careful on which way the choke goes, right?

Thanks, guys. Mac, doesn't that Mercury engine have one of those carbs that sort of have a large top on them, kinda like a teapot ? In any event, any carb from back then was probably made to take a choke cable, so it should be fairly straight forward. I made the mistake of just pulling my choke closed slightly to determine which way it pulls, and all I was doing was removing the play in it, I didn't realize I was not closing it because the throttle was keeping it from closing. Just a dumb mistake, you will be fine.

I just got off the phone with Grundy, they added my 29 to my policy, very painless transaction. Now I am off to the DMV. Hope it isn't too crowded there, all the snowbirds are returning to Florida and I am not crazy about being in a crowded room with other people even with my mask on. Luckily, I have already gotten my title in my name, so that monumental step is out of the way.

Maybe I can LEGALLY drive this thing today !

Latest posts

Back