A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think we got Cockshutts down here, and very few Oliver’s. This was IH and John Deer country for the big farmers, and Ford and Massey Ferguson for the smaller guys. I had an Uncle that had an Allis Chamlers bull dozer he bought new in the 60’s. Had a backhoe on it, he used it to put in septic tanks.

Bama, I also had an uncle that bought some Allis-Chalmer crawlers. He had bought a sawmill company in the early sixties, and three HD6's came with the deal. They are about the size of a D4 Caterpillar. He skidded logs with two of them and made roads with the one with the dozer. There were a couple of skid trucks too, one was a '57 Dodge, three ton with a Hemi. In the summer all his equipment was in the yard at his home, so he took part of the skid arch off of the Dodge and put on a grain box. I sometimes got to drive a Hemi when I was a kid.
Cockshutt was always a Canadian company and were just trying to get into the 'States, when there came some corporate raiding. The raiders didn't rip the company apart, but made some poor farm equipment decisions and left the company very shakey, so they sold out to White Farm Equipment. So did Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline and New Idea.

Last edited:
Them being Canadian probably explains it. I’ve see a few MM, an Oliver or two, and a few AC tractors. Buddy of mine has an rare one, British Fordson diesel.

Here are the two wheels that I'm going to use, all painted up.
I was telling you about my coolant routing problems, well, the upper outlet/thermostat housing was pointing off to the side, so here is another one pointing up towards the rad inlet.
The water pump inlet points out the wrong side so I made a smallish pipe that contorts around many things to get to the bottom on the left-hand side.

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2804.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2819.jpg
    IMG_2819.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 15
MM- All is looking real nice. Just a reminder to tape the rims before you mount the tires & tubes. Real clean looking water piping. Can't wait to see the rig with the new tires & rebuilt wheels.

Thank you guys. 28, I'm excited to put tape on the wheels.
Here's more fitting of the water pump inlet pipe, and finally painted.

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpg
    IMG_2820.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2822.jpg
    IMG_2822.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 17
MM - That is one fine looking water line you fab up, now in red it looks like a factory piece. Tape may or not be needed but it can't hurt. Those new tubes are not cheep. We are all looking forward to seeing tires & wheels on that 33.[P

Here's the red water pipe installed and almost hidden.
The back tires on this tractor were waiting for me so I started mounting one. It took longer than I had hoped for and in this heat I gave up, so after I got the first one mounted, I took the second one to town. Let the young guys work, I say. Here they are ready to go.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2824.jpg
    IMG_2824.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12
That new fabed water pipe mounted & painted same as the engine looks OEM MH33 all the way, great job.

With the heat this year that was a smart move letting the young dude mount the second tire. Those rebuilt rims with fresh paint & new tires are going to look great on the 33. It's getting closer each day.

Thank you guys. I'm pretty happy with the water tube, but the proof will be in the pudding, will the pump be able to suck water all that way up through it.
Today I mounted one wheel on the tractor. It's trued up and tightened.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 16
I don't see a problem with the water tube MM. It should be as good or better than a rubber hose, at least it won't suck closed.

MM - That mounted wheel with the weight on came out top notch.:D

If the water level in the radiator is above the water pump you will have no problem and the nice fab bends will flow smooth. Much nicer and cleaner than rubber hose. ;)

Yes Bama, one of my concerns from the start was to keep the hose from collapsing. I tried a hose with a spring in it and two things were wrong. It was two big around to fit nicely in there and not touch the fan belt, and, it looked 'era incorrect'.
28, yes the water level in the rad will be a way above the pump.
Those wheels are easier to put on without fluid in them.

MM, That sure looks great with the painted repaired wheels & weights. New tires. You should be real happy with the end results. Getting close to getting some dirt on those new treads.[cl[cl[cl

Thank you guys.
I did a lot of little piddily things today. I could not get the hubs off the back axles to change seals so I put Lucas Oil Treatment in an old grease gun and pumped that sticky oil into the outside bearings of the axle, right near the seals, [first picture]. Then the rest of the Lucas Oil went in the steering box and the transmission, [second pic]. One tierod end was not tight so I took that apart and fixed it, the tapered shank, not the ball and socket. Then I greased everything I could find, including installing a grease nipple in a steering U-joint, [not a fun job], and greasing it.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back