New toy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
Well I ran across the deal on this lathe that I could not pass up. It came off at naval ship so it's not as long as normal. Super well maintained I even got owner's manuals with it. Lots of extra tooling and a couple different Chuck setups. Now to refresh my memory on how to use one

Attachments

• 0813211718_HDR.jpg
    0813211718_HDR.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 44
lathe

i'm sure you know, you just created a monster. you will find more projects now and wonder how you did without it. i had a 12 in x 48 in long south bend that was a 1929 one for about 20 years and wore it out. it was a 220v one. i bought a south bend 14 recently that is 3 phase. i have everything to make a phase convertor but haven't got to it yet. i am always needed it when i am building a car. how dumb am i to not have it running yet?

Congrats on the lathe. Those ole South Bend lathes are great.
The only way I'd get by without mine is, about a mile up the road my neighbor has a full machine shop and would let me use his.
I don't like doing that besides its handier to have it right here.

sweet [cl
I`d love to have a lathe and milling machine but my shop seems to get clogged up with tools... :rolleyes:
I`m hoping to close a deal on a big 1850-ish fly-press this week... project may have to wait outside in the future ...lol

Awesome LB. That looks superb. Just got this little lathe from dad. Owners manual also. Now how do we run these 😏

Attachments

• 20210808_201620.jpg
    20210808_201620.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks guys I got a trip plan next week so when I get back I'll get it all hooked up. I think I already had my first project for it. that's a cool little Craftsman lathe

Would love to have one, but don't have the room, and don't know squat about running one.
You can get a more domesticated model like mine. Small, quiet, and house broken. It lives in my living room. I use it to spin up pool cues. :D

Expect to spend more on tooling than the lathe. Of course, having one leads to wanting a milling machine. And they are a whole other can of worms. :eek:

Attachments

• Mini lathe small.jpg
    Mini lathe small.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 17
Awesome LB. That looks superb. Just got this little lathe from dad. Owners manual also. Now how do we run these 😏
First thing is to turn it around so the motor is in back. Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;)[ddd

That is a cute little antique. Likely better quality than my import mini-lathe. It will be fun learning how to use it.

You can get a more domesticated model like mine. Small, quiet, and house broken. It lives in my living room. I use it to spin up pool cues. :D

Expect to spend more on tooling than the lathe. Of course, having one leads to wanting a milling machine. And they are a whole other can of worms. :eek:

Is that one of the Harbor Freight mini lathes?

Latest posts

Back