Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Separation Anxiety

Two Zip wheels and a couple Sawzall blades and the MII suspension is cut free. What do you think about this high in front? I think it either needs to be high in front or low but not level. I'm guessing the front springs will drop a maximum of 2" with everything back together.
Did some whittling on the axle and the spring perches to get them to fit right. All the rusty parts are soaking in vinegar.

Attachments

• MII Out 001.jpg
    MII Out 001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
  • MII Out 003.jpg
    MII Out 003.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 27
  • MII Out 002.jpg
    MII Out 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 33
Two Zip wheels and a couple Sawzall blades and the MII suspension is cut free. What do you think about this high in front? I think it either needs to be high in front or low but not level. I'm guessing the front springs will drop a maximum of 2" with everything back together.
Did some whittling on the axle and the spring perches to get them to fit right. All the rusty parts are soaking in vinegar.

I agree with either high or low. That height looks not bad, would have to see it from the side.

First pic is the MII with the 13" wheels dropped out of it and the chassis raised. Second pic is the tube axle and 15" Weld Rodlite wheels slid under it. I'd like to keep the Mustang II wheels but they are 4 bout and I doubt the Wilwood hubs have a provision for that. Third pic is the chassis lowered to original height. It will drop about 2 more inches with the heavy stuff reinstalled. I've never driven a "nose up" gasser on the street so not sure I want to go that way. Your input and experience is always appreciated.

Attachments

• stance 001.jpg
    stance 001.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
  • stance 002.jpg
    stance 002.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 35
  • stance 003.jpg
    stance 003.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 39
I've been slacking. Got the spring pads tacked to the axle. The axle has a smile to it so it took a bit of adjusting to get the pads square in every plane. Got about 7 degrees of caster built into the spring mounts.

Attachments

• pads 001.jpg
    pads 001.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 29
Final ride height will be a couple a inches lower in front than shown. Assuming the springs will settle that much with the engine and stuff in place. I'll get a mock up pic of that later. Here's one of the frame front riggers tacked together and clamped in place. I picked up these headers for 75 bucks. Not sure they will fit between the frame rails. It would be a shame to cut 'em up.

Attachments

• frame horn 001.jpg
    frame horn 001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 15
  • frame horn 002.jpg
    frame horn 002.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • frame horn 003.jpg
    frame horn 003.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 17
  • k 001.jpg
    k 001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16
Looks like you've got it sorted out, like that axle was just meant to be there. What was the reason for pulling it from the Crosley?

I got a lighter Anglia front axle from my good buddy, Jim. Figured I didn't need front brakes now that the Crosley will be slower. And, I wanted the Magnum axle for the Renault.

Ride Height

How many pictures can one person take of ride height? Well, this should be the ride height when done. 24" to the top of the wheel arch. Let's see how close the final outcome is. I kinda remember the rear sitting lower when all together. I'm so excited!

Attachments

• Ride Height 24 001.jpg
    Ride Height 24 001.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Ride Height 24 002.jpg
    Ride Height 24 002.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Ride Height 24 003.jpg
    Ride Height 24 003.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back