1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ANOTHER SWEET RIDE !!!![dr[dr[cl[cl:cool::cool:
Congrats..
What's next?

Would you believe another one? I have to finish up this one, do some road testing, get a safety inspection, then deal with DMV to get it registered. I'd like to have done the legal stuff earlier, but you need to have a complete drivable vehicle to present to them before you can get the paperwork ball rolling here.
Probably won't get to the next one till next spring, though I'm already squirreling parts away for it :D

Would you believe another one? I have to finish up this one, do some road testing, get a safety inspection, then deal with DMV to get it registered. I'd like to have done the legal stuff earlier, but you need to have a complete drivable vehicle to present to them before you can get the paperwork ball rolling here.
Probably won't get to the next one till next spring, though I'm already squirreling parts away for it :D

You're building ANOTHER CAR?!? What are you, CRAZY? [cl[cl[cl

Can't wait to see what you come up with next :D

Another build? Good for you ZZ - activity is the best medicine, and your skills would be a shame to not go to good use! I'm looking forward to watching another one from you.

The legal stuff is a pain in the rear to say the least. Around here if you don't like what they say at DMV you just pick up your paper work and go to a different office. Guaranteed you'll get a different interpretation of the laws.

I knew you had some thing in your head for the "next one."
You are one talented guy and I love watching your builds.
Stay after it!!!:cool::cool:[cl[cl:cool::cool:

The legal stuff is a pain in the rear to say the least. Around here if you don't like what they say at DMV you just pick up your paper work and go to a different office. Guaranteed you'll get a different interpretation of the laws.

I knew you had some thing in your head for the "next one."
You are one talented guy and I love watching your builds.
Stay after it!!!:cool::cool:[cl[cl:cool::cool:

It's more or less the same in my province, probably in ZZ's too. I had to try two different registries before I got the correct answer on registering a trailer that had a manufacturer VIN from 1972 that was only 4 digits. The first place even tried to get me to produce a bill of sale for vehicles I had owned for 15+ years to update the registration.

Too true, it can often depend on who you get on what day. On my 47 Packard, though it had a Manitoba dealer name stamped on the VIN tag, they said there was no record of it and they made me go with an assigned VIN and a crummy little tin foil VIN tag to rivet in the door frame, insisting that it needed a 17 digit VIN.
But on my 36 Packard, which also had a Manitoba dealer name stamped on the VIN tag, after submitting my paperwork and pics as with the 47, I got a call from the guy reviewing my file and to my surprise, he said - do you want to just go with the VIN on your existing tag? Well duh, YES, he approved it and 3 days later I got my reggie in the mail. There was also no record of that VIN in the system. So clearly, rules are open to interpretation and likely depend on the mood or mindset of person behind the desk.
My rule of thumb is to only tell them what you must and don't volunteer any opinions or things that may get them asking more questions.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

I'm not looking forward to doing the Bug. I understand New Mexico is a stickler on VIN #[S
VW body, Chevy chassis mid 70's, Chevy engine mid 80's:p

Put the hood on, scrubbed off the blue goo on the tires and put on the hubcaps. After a few times up and down the road, found the front brakes were dragging badly, not sure what's up there [S, also need to check the timing and TV cable adjustment on the AOD trans. Road testing always brings out the gremlins...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3361.JPG
    IMG_3361.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 52
Wow, it looks awesome! The stance looks great!

I had a brake dragging issue once, the master cylinder had a hole to bleed pressure back in, it was plugged so pressure could build in the lines but wouldn't bleed off quickly. I wonder if you have something similar happening.

Could be the calipers hanging up, too. Or too much residual pressure from a valve.

Last edited:
Beautiful car. I like the stance and whitewall tires. [cl

Not quite as spectacular as the Cadillac transformation... there is just something about that one. [ddd

Beautiful car. I like the stance and whitewall tires. [cl

Not quite as spectacular as the Cadillac transformation... there is just something about that one. [ddd

I'd say to me the spectacular transformation here is that it doesn't look like any modifications were made to the body, but when you go back and look at what he started with and what was done (filling the roof, chopping, etc., etc., that is completely unnoticeable, that's the amazing part.

Put the hood on, scrubbed off the blue goo on the tires and put on the hubcaps. After a few times up and down the road, found the front brakes were dragging badly, not sure what's up there [S, also need to check the timing and TV cable adjustment on the AOD trans. Road testing always brings out the gremlins...

attachment.php
attachment.php

We have to include the original body photo and your original "photochop" to really see how amazing this transformation is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd say to me the spectacular transformation here is that it doesn't look like any modifications were made to the body, but when you go back and look at what he started with and what was done (filling the roof, chopping, etc., etc., that is completely unnoticeable, that's the amazing part.

We have to include the original body photo and your original "photochop" to really see how amazing this transformation is.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree 200%. Not just a custom Packard, but a much better looking one.
Drop dead gorgeous, at least to me... [cl[cl[cl

Wow, it looks awesome! The stance looks great!

I had a brake dragging issue once, the master cylinder had a hole to bleed pressure back in, it was plugged so pressure could build in the lines but wouldn't bleed off quickly. I wonder if you have something similar happening.

Could be the calipers hanging up, too. Or too much residual pressure from a valve.

With all new parts, you'd think it wouldn't happen :confused: It only has a 2lb residual check valve in the front brake line, so unless it is haywire, I don't see any glaring flaws, took off the calipers and it all looks OK [S I did find another problem, an assembly error by some bonehead :rolleyes:. I discovered the lower ball joints were loose :eek: - realized that the spacers it came with go under the castle nut, not under the A arm. Whether that has anything to do with the brakes or not, I have to correct it - of course it will be fun do do now that the springs are in but at least I now have the full weight of the car to help when jacking the A arm back up.

Attachments

• IMG_2561_LI (3).jpg
    IMG_2561_LI (3).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 13
With all new parts, you'd think it wouldn't happen :confused: It only has a 2lb residual check valve in the front brake line, so unless it is haywire, I don't see any glaring flaws, took off the calipers and it all looks OK [S I did find another problem, an assembly error by some bonehead :rolleyes:. I discovered the lower ball joints were loose :eek: - realized that the spacers it came with go under the castle nut, not under the A arm. Whether that has anything to do with the brakes or not, I have to correct it - of course it will be fun do do now that the springs are in but at least I now have the full weight of the car to help when jacking the A arm back up.

When I built my 46 I had a brand new caliper that was hanging up. It was from Napa. Unfortunately, it shouldn't happen with new parts but it does.

Just thinking out loud, there should be an easy way to differentiate when it's doing it if the line is holding pressure or if the caliper is holding pressure on.

Latest posts

Back