1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a bunch to lowbudget50 for the patina recipe. All I had was a half bottle of hydrogen peroxide that was close to a year old but this is the results after 2 applications of the recipe.

P.S. with out some heat the stuff doesn't work, weather here for the last week has been terrible. Lots of snow and cold, my only option was to hit the tin with a heat gun which worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Dozer, I've liked the shroud idea all along, and the patina-ing is a plus also. Here's one of my 'fake patina' tricks. Get a rattle can of 'ultra- flat dark brown camouflage' paint and put a couple of light mistings over what you have now.

Looks great. Keep up the great work. Use what you have.[P

Thanks craigger

Dozer, I've liked the shroud idea all along, and the patina-ing is a plus also. Here's one of my 'fake patina' tricks. Get a rattle can of 'ultra- flat dark brown camouflage' paint and put a couple of light mistings over what you have now.

Thanks Mac, next trip to the big city I will have to try to remember to look for some of that.

Ran across your build this evening and could not stop reading til I read the whole thing, great build glad I found it. Looking forward to doing something like this after my current project is finished. Also looking forward to seeing more updates here.

Ran across your build this evening and could not stop reading til I read the whole thing, great build glad I found it. Looking forward to doing something like this after my current project is finished. Also looking forward to seeing more updates here.

Thanks Mike, that was lot of reading.

With the change in gear ratio the RPM came up about 800 which in turn gave me a vibration that I determined was coming from my home shortened drive shaft. So I figured while I was waiting for the new brake hoses and prop valve to arrive I would take the shaft out and send it up to the city to get balanced. When I took it out I noticed the rear u joint caps were slightly to small and did not fit the yoke properly, so I dug out the mic and took a measurement which I sent with the shaft. Turns out I don't know how to read one of those very well and the new joint they installed the caps are too large. Measure some more, and the 1970 Torino center I put in with the new gears takes what called a ford "special u joint"and there are only 2 in Canada, so now I wait.

Got the new u joint installed, and after the Terrible Summit prop valve go around ( read about it in the Product review thread), I took the old prop valve apart and cleaned all the 41 years of crud out of it and put it back in and have good brakes. Now I will just have to wait for the monsoons to quit so I can test drive.:cool:

Got the new u joint installed, and after the Terrible Summit prop valve go around ( read about it in the Product review thread), I took the old prop valve apart and cleaned all the 41 years of crud out of it and put it back in and have good brakes. Now I will just have to wait for the monsoons to quit so I can test drive.:cool:

Good to hear you're gettin her goin good again. Sorry to hear about the summit issue. I know personally I like using the Willwood adjustable proportioning valves just because they seam to be a bit higher quality.

The owner of a Triumph Car garage told me one time that they called them foreign jobs "sports cars", because you had to be a "sport" to put up with the bs....

Seems to be a similar situation here...one thing it teaches you is patience!

Good to hear you're gettin her goin good again. Sorry to hear about the summit issue. I know personally I like using the Willwood adjustable proportioning valves just because they seam to be a bit higher quality.

Thanks JB, I have had good service from Summit with previous orders, but didn't ha a ploblem with a part before.

The owner of a Triumph Car garage told me one time that they called them foreign jobs "sports cars", because you had to be a "sport" to put up with the bs....

Seems to be a similar situation here...one thing it teaches you is patience!

Isn't that the truth.

The highways did dry up enough yesterday for a test drive, no more vibration right up to 100 mph. Brake have a much better pedal after cleaning the prop valve, will have to see if the fade problem returns.

Latest posts

Back