Black Rat 55

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of a 34 Nash I've been trying to pry out of a guys hands for a couple years - I think I'm wearing him down.....

oh thats nice. dont back off, add more presure. lol

i know what you mean, i still have my teenage car. i havent stickered it since 1996. i bring it out once a year to torment the neighbor hood and put it away. it has never crossed my mine to sell it, but there might be that day that i will.

Saying goodbye

Well, off it goes on the car hauler to find a new home... I send my builds to my buddy to sell, he lists them on his website, also being in a larger population area, has no problem selling them. I'm out in the toolies by comparison, just not enuf car people to draw on for a sale in any reasonable amount of time.

Attachments

• july 06 10 rat 55 003a.jpg
    july 06 10 rat 55 003a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 114
  • july 06 10 rat 55 004a.jpg
    july 06 10 rat 55 004a.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 143
  • july 06 10 rat 55 006a.jpg
    july 06 10 rat 55 006a.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 111
What's your friends site?
Or better yet, a link to the sale of your truck.
I'm sure I can't afford it & I know I don't have the space...but I like to dream.
-Chaz

What's your friends site?
Or better yet, a link to the sale of your truck.
I'm sure I can't afford it & I know I don't have the space...but I like to dream.
-Chaz

Sorry to say, it's already sold and off to it's new home in Edmonton Alberta, Canada. My buddy's website is therodgod.com - now it's time to start thinkin' of what to build next......

Well, off it goes on the car hauler to find a new home... I send my builds to my buddy to sell, he lists them on his website, also being in a larger population area, has no problem selling them. I'm out in the toolies by comparison, just not enuf car people to draw on for a sale in any reasonable amount of time.

I would have had trouble letting go of that one. That is without a doubt the coolest thing anyone ever created from a 50s pickup. IMHO. about 98% of the attempts made to create a fenderless rod from a 50's-60's pickup end up looking like bird squat.

I shouldn't "pile on" but...I have never seen such beautiful, imaginative cars built by one guy in his home garage.

No "piling on" here. I like that he sells them and moves onto something else just as good and just as unique. Gives me something to strive towards (and to read!) True mark of an artist and definately no sophmore slump!

Made the grille shell and a stainless grille. Followed thru with the body side shape into the grille shell sides. Also fabbed a stainless nerf bar / bumper so it can be legal and to mount the front plate on the backside. Front plates are required in B.C., going without is just asking to get stopped and can lead to the fuzz looking for other infractions.
Also made the headers from some old Camaro headers and some 4" pipe to make the cones.

How did you make the cones??

I just cut a wedge shaped section out of the length of the 4" pipe and beat it together with a rubber mallet, hose clamps helped to pull it together to weld it

That's awesome....probably a lot cheaper than those weld up kits

Here's some pics of the frame. I prefer the contoured look to the frame rails instead of the typical chop and weld at an angle Z type treatment so the front horns and the rear kickup are cut from 1/8" plate capped with 1/4 x 2" flat bar. These are dovetailed into the 2x6" main rails and 2X3" rear rails. Lotsa sturdy crossmembers and a double K member in the middle, this frame is stiff ! You can jack one corner way up and no twisting. Wheelbase is 120", so I wanted it strong.
Found a nice narrow 8" ford rear in the boneyard, and a buddy gave me a 41 Chev pu axle which I trimmed and finessed to use split bones of my own design. Air bags front and rear, 890 and 560/15 Wide whites and chromies. I later changed to shorter front shocks and lowered the 32 headlites 3", they just looked too high.

Did you modify that axle to add the link bar attachment points or were they already there? I am considering using air bags and link bars on the ford 51 axle.

I spotted this photo on Facebook from the Rock'n August car show in St. Albert, Alberta yesterday. The show is the conclusion of a week-long series of car events.

The truck still looks the same!

attachment.php

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1659886696445.jpg
    FB_IMG_1659886696445.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back