Oil Filters Video Comparison

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone who has a subscription to Motor Trend on Demand there is a great show on Engine Masters about oil filters. They too find the Fram is the worst and it has had that reputation forever. Wix has always been near the top. Jim

For anyone who has a subscription to Motor Trend on Demand there is a great show on Engine Masters about oil filters. They too find the Fram is the worst and it has had that reputation forever. Wix has always been near the top. Jim

Yep I watched that too. It was really informative. I've used Napa Gold for a long time.

Last edited:
I did a similar test on filters for Minute Muffler back in the 90's. At that time the worst filter was the Purolator closely followed by the Fram. Best one was the Wix followed by Baldwin. In that test I measured the square inches of filter paper as well and if I remember right the Purolator one had 26% less.

I did a similar test on filters for Minute Muffler back in the 90's. At that time the worst filter was the Purolator closely followed by the Fram. Best one was the Wix followed by Baldwin. In that test I measured the square inches of filter paper as well and if I remember right the Purolator one had 26% less.

Yeah I've seen where the amount of filter was compared, there can be huge differences. My dad had his own automotive repair shop for the better part of 4 decades, he always told us that FRAM filters were garbage after cutting several open himself or even having the filter media break down so we have long avoided them.

"Marketing wank!" That's funny. Now I know why Fram can afford to have the largest marketing budget. They use inferior parts and charge the same :(

Latest posts

Back