Give your hot rod some lovin'

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
So lately the Hennway has been running like a turd, sputtering, occasionally backfiring, etc. After going through denial, blaming the machine, etc., it occurred to me that I haven't put a wrench to it since I built it 15 years ago, other than oil changes. 15 years on the same plugs, wires and all, moreover the engine has never even had the heads off since it came in a Chevy pickup in 1974, the only mods to it are the hi-rise, headers and 750 Holley. So likely the HEI is a little sloppy too, being 47 years old :rolleyes:
So instead of messing with things, I got lazy and went to Scamazon for a complete HEI with hi power coil, new wires and new AC plugs. $200.00 Canadian for the works, and hour to change it all out and presto changeo, it's back to running right, no problem lighting up the tires even with the 2.75 rear gear.
As you'd expect, the rotor and electrodes in the cap were really crusty, probably most of the problem, but I'm lazy and now it has some shiny new parts on it.:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3022.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3023.JPG
    IMG_3023.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3028.JPG
    IMG_3028.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01178.jpg c (2).jpg
    DSC01178.jpg c (2).jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 37
On a similar note:

I have a 17hp Briggs and Stratton on a 42" cut Husky mower. I got it used several years ago, at that time it was on a Craftsman mower. I wore out two cutting decks on the Craftsman before I moved the motor to the Husky a couple of years ago. About a month ago, it suddenly got to where it didn't want to run. Be running fine, then all the sudden, just flood out in a cloud of black smoke. Took carb bowl off, cleaned it, blew out the gas line, took tank off and cleaned it, only a small amount of dirt came out. Bet I took that carb bowl off 10 times only to find clean gas in it. Today, was fooling with it, got it to crank and run, then it started flooding again. For some reason I flipped the latch on the air cleaner.....it cleared right up. Shut it, it would flood. Pulled the filter, a pleated paper filter in a rubber gasket, it had sucked so hard the paper was pulled into a V instead of laying flat! A new $18 filter and it runs like a champ again!

Thinking back, I've had this motor close to 15 years. It sat for two or three years after I got my Husky, then when the Kohler on it went bad it was swapped out. I think I've changed the oil twice, but have never changed that air filter, it always looked white on top...:rolleyes:

I really need to start paying attention to things a little more!:eek:

That is a beautiful ride.

I have finally got the 53 Chev as road worthy as possible with the 3S...(Start Stop and Steer) Scary, rough, shake rattle and roll, and fun! The last thing I did was the engine valve seals, and she is keeping the oil where it belongs.

Last edited:
That's still a killer truck! I've had the "Nuttin Special" on the road just a little over 6 years now. Close to 50,000 miles. I give mine lovin thru the long skinny pedal...:D

I guess as the years go by I'm starting to become aware that we only have so much time to get things done and since we don't get do-overs, I have to pay attention to maintaining what I've got. Not just cars either, it may be a way to look at life in general, ya can't just sit around and rot......:D

Rot rhymes with hot, and when its too hot, I do not, therefore I rot.

I like it not, would rather do a lot, but its too damn hot.

-apologies to Dr Seuss....

Latest posts

Back