Dr Crankenstein's Drag Racing Adventures

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First a poetry page, now a story page.

This place is better than a Hot Rod magazine. Very interesting seeing a lowered drag car without the fenders cut out on that Fiver!

....continue!

Sorry for the delay in the next Chapter. I sent the wrong one to Colin. That has been corrected, but he has not been on here yet.

Chapter 3:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-31 174402.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-31 174402.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2021-08-31 174524.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-08-31 174524.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 60
Fun fact, that race track is now Castrol Raceway, and a couple years ago switched back to NHRA sanctioning after being under IHRA for many years. A number of local deep-pocket race car owners saved it from extinction a few years back. I've personally spent a lot of hours there as a youth and an adult, and have a lot of fond memories of watching races there.

I think I have also sat in those stands, Snopro. It would have been in '72 or '73. There was a B body Plymouth with a 383 and four speed running that I took a special interest in because I had just acquired a B body Dodge with the same powertrain.

I think I have also sat in those stands, Snopro. It would have been in '72 or '73. There was a B body Plymouth with a 383 and four speed running that I took a special interest in because I had just acquired a B body Dodge with the same powertrain.

If you sat in the stands in the early 70's, it would have been at Speedway Park (Edmonton International Speedway), which was located in what is now a residential neighborhood in North Edmonton. Speedway Park closed in 1982 after being annexed by the City of Edmonton, and Capital Raceway (which became Labatt Raceway, then Budweiser Motorsports Park, and now Castrol Raceway) which Dr. C was referring to opened in 1991 next to the Edmonton International Airport south of Edmonton between Nisku and Devon.

I'm really enjoying these stories from Doc, thanks a lot for sharing Bob!

My only personal experience at Race City (which closed 10 years ago) was when I was a fresh-faced University student in the summer of 2006. I had a summer job for a Calgary-based (3 hours away) company which resulted in my doing training for 2 weeks in Calgary. Part of that training was an advanced driver training, including accident avoidance and vehicle control on gravel. They had us drive through the city onto some gravel roads and to a gravel parking lot where they had cones and a slalom set up, to evaluate our control and teach us some new maneuvers. The parking lot we used was at Race City. That was the one and only time I had been there, sadly. Now the land is a City of Calgary waste management centre.

Great stories.
I didn't do much drag racing(at least not on any tracks.:eek::D) but worked the pits a few time for my older brother.:cool:
Keep them coming....
[P [P [P
Torchie

Latest posts

Back