47 Ford truck project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chopping tops are a breeze

Went back at it tonight and after some scribing of the cuts I have the four corners of the cab tacked back on and ready for the filler pieces. Sorry no pics today as I left my camera in my buddies truck. I'll get it tomorrow when I go pick up my other flat head and the radiator. Everything is lining up nicely.[cl

I took your guys advice and split the back half of the top & spread it to match up the corners, I still need to cut the top half of the back window out and refit it

Got some pics of what I have done so far, ran out of time so now I'm just getting ready for the Rumble
DSCI0586.jpg

DSCI0587.jpg

DSCI0588.jpg

DSCI0589.jpg

Chopping a top is not for the faint of heart or those who have no close hot rod buddies for the extra hands

I know what you mean. I started my first chop ever on my 51 Chevy two weeks and I`m doing most of it by myself. I can get help moving it if I need to, But for the most part I`m just winging it and hoping for the best.

Sold a few parts off this truck netting me about $300 so I'm hoping this will be a real cheap build. Got the frame down to just a roller (well not really rolling as 3 wheels are locked up) Now I need to decide how much of the frame I'm gonna use.
bare frame.jpg

Hey bud,I just started chopping the same cab today,All I have left is to stretch the roof and weld up the posts ! I'd be glad to help if I can. I went with 4" as well. 4" seems to be the ticket with these trucks !

4" off the top, 4" off the bottom, 6" channel

Been too busy at work & too tired to get much done but worked on it some today. Tacked some more on the filler pieces and removed the doors so I can get in her to brace for the rest of the cutting I'm gonna do. Gonna suicide the doors.

Thinking I'm gonna take 4" off the bottom then channel it 6" over the stock frame. What's your thoughts?

Here's what it looks like right now.
001.jpg

002.jpg

I just did a chop on ine no channeling at all and it still sits nice and low but I have plenty of leg room and head room as well and these are apremium thing in these cabs :)

Attachments

• 284205_2126100904474_1004436880_2444306_2979298_n.jpg
    284205_2126100904474_1004436880_2444306_2979298_n.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 285595_2126099744445_1004436880_2444304_4784614_n.jpg
    285595_2126099744445_1004436880_2444304_4784614_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 46
Wow! I managed to miss this thread until now ?! [S Are you tearing into it or what!

How about you stick a bunch of lumber in the cab under your butt and feet to simulate that 10" and see if it suits ya? Your the one that has to fit in it.

I cut the 4" off the bottom and it really cleaned up the cab and now has the look I'm after, unfortunately there will be no pictures for a while as my camera was acting up and I smashed it against the wall :eek:[ddd:mad:. Won't be able to get another one until Friday.

I cut the 4" off the bottom and it really cleaned up the cab and now has the look I'm after, unfortunately there will be no pictures for a while as my camera was acting up and I smashed it against the wall :eek:[ddd:mad:. Won't be able to get another one until Friday.

Tried Anger management? Or maybe that was a fine example of it, not hurting anyone. :D

Sounds like the truck is coming along nicely.

Been too busy at work & too tired to get much done but worked on it some today. Tacked some more on the filler pieces and removed the doors so I can get in her to brace for the rest of the cutting I'm gonna do. Gonna suicide the doors.

Thinking I'm gonna take 4" off the bottom then channel it 6" over the stock frame. What's your thoughts?

Here's what it looks like right now.
View attachment 66453

View attachment 66454

I did something close to what you are thinking about on my 51. I need 6" to cover the back of the frame plus 2" of drop in the frame to the front and 2" for cab mounts. But I didn't trim any off the bottom, In the end I raised my floor 9 1/2". I Have a 3" chop and found a set bucket sets out of a geo storm. Had to move the stearing wheel up into the dash. I have 1" headroom so hitting bump is out. It is a little cramped but not to bad.

Charlie, is the strap in the earlier picutre just used to keep the door shut while you work on the cab? Thanks in advance.

[P

Strap was just holding the doors closed so the cab stayed good and straight.

I did a boo boo, the roof had a couple large dents in it and I didn't straighten them out so now it may be impossible to get them out.:eek:[S

Latest posts

Back