The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The big brown truck always delivers fun stuff! :D

Attachments

• GMC 405.jpg
    GMC 405.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 63
Man, excellent thread and build! [cl[cl

Really like what you have going on here.

Love the second dash as well [dr

Gunna borrow you idea for the cab stand. Have been trying to figure out what I was going to do to make it easier to move around. I like the versitillity of what you have.

Keep up the great work! [P

Great build, It has really inspired me.. Thank you for all of the great pictures and explanations.

..........I'm excited too! :D[/QUOTE said:
Thanks Snake! I spent most of today mocking up my chassis so I should have some pictures tomorrow.

Man, excellent thread and build! [cl[cl

Really like what you have going on here.

Love the second dash as well [dr

Gunna borrow you idea for the cab stand. Have been trying to figure out what I was going to do to make it easier to move around. I like the versitillity of what you have.

Keep up the great work! [P

Thank you very much Hank, I appreciate it! I am really short on space so I have to get creative and the dolly has been great. Especially when I was doing all of the messy body work and I just rolled it outside to blow out the cab. I have a few pictures of how it's built if you'd like to see 'em.

Great build, It has really inspired me.. Thank you for all of the great pictures and explanations.

Thank you Sevo! I am flattered to know I've inspired anyone to do anything!:D I noticed your build thread, keep the updates and pictures coming.

sure would love to see them.

Here's a couple pictures. I originally made the legs fairly long but decided it was too tall, so I cut them down and ended up with an overall height of 11". It is 4'x4', the top is two pieces of 1/2" plywood (a single layer would have been more than sufficient), the legs are 4"x4"s and the rest is made out of 2"x4"s. The best part is the whole thing cost me about $30.00 since all I had to buy was the ply and the Harbor Freight casters. Best $30.00 I've spent in a while! :D

Attachments

• dolly1.jpg
    dolly1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 39
  • dolly3.jpg
    dolly3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 37
  • dolly4.jpg
    dolly4.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 39
  • P1011013.jpg
    P1011013.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 43
Very good and looks easy enough to do, thanks for the info. will be putting one together in the next weekend or two. I'm getting the last of the stuff gathered up and some room in the shop for the chop and frame build.

Finally working towards a chassis!

I spent most of yesterday and today mocking up my chassis with 2"x4"s. I started by building a low-profile dolly for the cab. Being lower allowed me to set the cab at ride height. From there I mocked the front end, rear end, engine, bed and so on, then I took all of the important measurements and started laying out the chassis, working from the front to the rear. I ordered a 6" dropped, spring-behind front end so I could "pinch" the front rails rather than z ing or stepping them. I ended up with an eight degree rise which I think looks more aggressive than a z. I ran the rear rails pretty wide in order to better support the rear end and to create an area above the driveline for my 28 gallon, 36" wide fuel cell. I ended up with a 124" wheelbase which is longer than I would have liked so I am still looking at shortening the front rails. But, I know added length is the trade-off for running a spring-behind front end. It's really nice to reach this stage. I'll hopefully have a roller soon!

Attachments

• GMC 406.jpg
    GMC 406.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 410.jpg
    GMC 410.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 411.jpg
    GMC 411.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 100
  • GMC 412.jpg
    GMC 412.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 96
  • GMC 413.jpg
    GMC 413.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 106
  • GMC 415.jpg
    GMC 415.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 98
  • GMC 417.jpg
    GMC 417.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 112
  • GMC 416.jpg
    GMC 416.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 116
Mike nice work! Man you really know how to move along

Are you going to make your frame?

Mike nice work! Man you really know how to move along

Are you going to make your frame?

Thanks Sevo. Yeah, I am going to build it out of 2"x4" 3/16" wall. I am a big fan of overbuilding things! A friend of mine has a chassis table (good friends to have:D) so I am going to build it at his shop. There are a few things missing on my mock-up chassis that will be on the real frame but I think it's gonna come out looking pretty much like the mock-up. It hopefully won't be too long now.

Hey MikeS

I hope you arent a big guy. With that chopped top...it is gonna be tight in the cab for sure. I have a 1953 (Chevy truck) all stock heights except the frame is "z'ed" and there is like no room inside. I love your build so far...not sure how driveable it'll be tho. I know I am questioning my own build as far as driveablilty goes right now. Good luck and keep us posted.
MikeC

Hey MikeS

I hope you arent a big guy. With that chopped top...it is gonna be tight in the cab for sure. I have a 1953 (Chevy truck) all stock heights except the frame is "z'ed" and there is like no room inside. I love your build so far...not sure how driveable it'll be tho. I know I am questioning my own build as far as driveablilty goes right now. Good luck and keep us posted.
MikeC

I am glad you like my build so far, I'll keep the pictures coming.

Lookin killer bro!! Man I wish I would've gone big block that looks BADASS!!!!!

Thanks Lucky! It's not too late to throw a big block in your rig!

I don't know about your area but I've been amazed lately at the amount of cheap, complete big blocks on Craigslist. I paid $60.00 for mine. I love big blocks! There's no replacement for displacement!:D

I don't know about your area but I've been amazed lately at the amount of cheap, complete big blocks on Craigslist. I paid $60.00 for mine. I love big blocks! There's no replacement for displacement!:D

Been lookin but there ain't much around under $500 for them around here

Plus I need to get my butt back to workin a FT job again and that's been harder than I thought not much out there for jobs :(

Latest posts

Back