How's your weather????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let it snow

Attachments

• 1225201557_HDR.jpg
    1225201557_HDR.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 20
Really

I learned that northern New Mexico weather is not like southern New Mexico weather. Bloomfield 5 am 5° 2pm 34°, and couldn't buy a white Christmas [S
I'm learning [cl
Everyone have Good and Safe New Year !

It's been a slow start to winter here in North Western Colorado. But today it started dumping. Got about 4" during the day, plowed around 5pm went back to work @ 7pm and then it snowed another 5" or 6" by 10pm.. Wonder how much we'll get by morning.

It's been a slow start to winter here in North Western Colorado. But today it started dumping. Got about 4" during the day, plowed around 5pm went back to work @ 7pm and then it snowed another 5" or 6" by 10pm.. Wonder how much we'll get by morning.

man, I wish we would get some!!!!

10 F when I walked the dogs this morning. Scheduled for snow this afternoon. Normally we would be leaving for Florida in a few days. Not this year.

It warmed up to -7*C or 20*F now and it's raining. the droplets are big enough that I could hear them hitting the snow, from inside the house. This was the most scary time to be out there trucking. The rain freezes onto the road no matter what the road is made of, and the ice is clear so you don't see it and very slippery. Most times when you spin out on this surface you bail out quickly right after you set all of your brake on, and you realize that you can't stand up on the road. You get over to your truck a quickly as possible, [luckily you were smart enough to put your back-up lights on way back there] and hang on to it so you can stand up. Did I mention that all this time your truck is sliding back down the hill in the dark, loaded? Anyhow, you grab a set of chains and throw them under a set of drive wheels. That slows the truck down. Now throw another set under the other side drives. Now the truck has stopped. That's probably your best set of triple railers down jambed into the ground. Throw your other set of triples on the other driver wheels, now and do them up the best you can, with the truck creaking backwards slowly, in the dark. You probably can't lift off with only one set of chains on so you have to back over your 'thrown under' chains and then try and stop your truck again. Retrieve your good chains and throw them on. This is a good time to put your steering chain on too. Now, try to lift off and head for the middle of the road and straddle the crown so you don't slide sideways into the ditch even if you're moving.

It warmed up to -7*C or 20*F now and it's raining. the droplets are big enough that I could hear them hitting the snow, from inside the house. This was the most scary time to be out there trucking. The rain freezes onto the road no matter what the road is made of, and the ice is clear so you don't see it and very slippery. Most times when you spin out on this surface you bail out quickly right after you set all of your brake on, and you realize that you can't stand up on the road. You get over to your truck a quickly as possible, [luckily you were smart enough to put your back-up lights on way back there] and hang on to it so you can stand up. Did I mention that all this time your truck is sliding back down the hill in the dark, loaded? Anyhow, you grab a set of chains and throw them under a set of drive wheels. That slows the truck down. Now throw another set under the other side drives. Now the truck has stopped. That's probably your best set of triple railers down jambed into the ground. Throw your other set of triples on the other driver wheels, now and do them up the best you can, with the truck creaking backwards slowly, in the dark. You probably can't lift off with only one set of chains on so you have to back over your 'thrown under' chains and then try and stop your truck again. Retrieve your good chains and throw them on. This is a good time to put your steering chain on too. Now, try to lift off and head for the middle of the road and straddle the crown so you don't slide sideways into the ditch even if you're moving.

You do get some weird weather up there MM, I was trucking drill cuttings up there back in 2000 it was -22 and raining some of the worst roads I have ever driven on.

Y'all just had to keep it up with the snow thing and look what happened last night.
It'll likely be gone by around 2 or 3 today though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210103_083321.jpg
    20210103_083321.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 24
I guess I should get the tractor ready for winter, plowing snow, right? There's almost a foot of new snow over the last few days. This morning it was -30C* or -23F*, but the picture was taken in the heat of the day, at -25C*. Right now it's -37C* or -30F*.
I have to start the dang old tractor, take the bucket off it and put the snow blade on it.
Anyhow, I got it done and then a couple of hours of blading done too.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice tractor. Mac. We're about to get another batch of snow. 6 - 9" over 9 hours. If this keeps up I'm going to have to put the tires with the chains on the loader.

Mr. Fahrenheit said it was 10 below when I walked the dogs this morning. Sunny and breezy. Gonna be this cold for the next 7-10 days.

We're done with about 20 Inches that blew through here Thursday night through Friday Night. Not so funny story; I went home to plow our uphill driveway about 3:00 PM Friday afternoon . It was about 10" deep but I kept my speed up and made it just fine. I started up the plow truck and plowed real quick just enough so my wife could get home at 6. Then I left on an errand an hour away not planning to be home until about 7. On my way back and getting close, I get a call from Nancy telling me she made it up the driveway OK but to be careful because the snow was "really deep". Then as I'm at the bottom of my driveway in my DD Sienna mini van I see it's about 1/3 as deep as the 10" I plowed at 3. Then I made my second mistake. I stopped about 2/3's of the way up to see if I could make it from a dead stop. Next I made my third mistake, I backed up to get a running start without getting out to asses the situation and be really careful as we have a ditch on one side that swallows cars whole when it's full of snow. I won't bore you with the escapades that ensued all day Saturday except to say, at the peak I had a total of 3 vehicles stuck on the driveway. Today as I write this I'm waiting for a call from the AAA guy. Something my wife said I should do yesterday morning. As you can see my 1st and 4th mistake are the same. My moral to the story is RESPECT THE SNOW and listen to your wife.

well, it was cold enough for me here... lotsa wind and by the end of the day 8" of snow and still going... Blew right into the shed too :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP6321.jpg
    IMGP6321.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP6287.jpg
    IMGP6287.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP6316.jpg
    IMGP6316.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 14
ORR, I was listening to my wife, why do you think I went out on a horribly cold day and did anything. Actually, I'm glad I did, because it got cold after that.
Here's the thermometer this morning. -51F*.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 11
is it ok -- to say me and mrs crate were out kayaking in the summer evening for a couple of hours last night ?? ..
although somehow flooded mine and completely soaked my wallet (duh right)

Latest posts

Back