Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progress.......

I got the transmission tunnel finished today. The off set of the engine/drive train gave me the added benefit of more foot room on the driver side. That's a good thing for me.

I plan on bed lining the the interior floors so I can just hose it out after a muddy excursion.
I hate the carpet in my JK.

I think I'm to the point of fitting the drive shafts then stripping it to the frame, finish welding brackets and sand blasting and painting said frame.

All I lack is finishing. :eek::eek:[S[S
My goal is by Christmas. We'll see how that works out.

Attachments

• IMG-4045.jpg
    IMG-4045.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-4046.jpg
    IMG-4046.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 21
Drive shafts.....

I cut my rear driveshaft down to fit, trued it up, welded up, new U-joints and installed.
The front was a different story. I took the measurements to my buddy that does that for a living and had him build me one. He made it with 2" heavy wall tubing, used my CV joint, all new U-joints and a new front slip yoke.
He only charged me $200 which I thought was about 1/2 of what it would be.
Got it installed after a slight modification to the torsion bar key adjuster.

I cut the pivot in half, drilled the threads out of it and dropped the bolt in from the top. Adjusted the height on for the front end, cut the bolt off 1 1/4" and double nutted it to lock it in place.
I was told I couldn't do that but I did and it worked perfect. Plenty of clearance under the transfer case Yoke. Don't listen to the nay sayers!

Next is to sneak the exhaust pipe in there some how. One step at a time.

Attachments

• IMG-4054.jpg
    IMG-4054.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-4055.jpg
    IMG-4055.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4056.jpg
    IMG-4056.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4057.jpg
    IMG-4057.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-4083.jpg
    IMG-4083.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-4061.jpg
    IMG-4061.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-4064.jpg
    IMG-4064.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG-4068.jpg
    IMG-4068.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG-4059.jpg
    IMG-4059.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-4060.jpg
    IMG-4060.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 20
Shifter Knob.....

I'm putting a B&M Black Quicksilver Ratchet Shifter in this project. I didn't like the shifter knob trim so this is what I did.

My Granddad was an old mule skinner and always gave me a Silver Dollar for my birthday every year until I was 18 so I used an 1882 American Eagle to top the knob off with.

I like the look and will remember my Granddad every time I get in the Willys.

Attachments

• IMG-4092.jpg
    IMG-4092.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-4084.jpg
    IMG-4084.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
Cool shift knob. Nice job on the drive shafts. It may be the angle of the picture but it looks like the front one is out of phase a spline or two. The yokes are supposed to be in the same plain. It is probably just the way I'm looking at it.[P[P[P

Some people can knock your confidence down so you don't try things. Just because 'naysayers' can't do it doesn't mean you can't, Pops.
I like the Grandfather touch on the gearshift knob.

Nice job on the torsion bar adjuster, and I love the gearshift knob! What a fantastic idea that was. I'm sure grandpa would be proud to see that.

I'm with the crew on this one too.
Good job on the drive shaft and great story abought Granddad also you'll never be broke as long as the silver dollar is on the knob.

I'm putting a B&M Black Quicksilver Ratchet Shifter in this project. I didn't like the shifter knob trim so this is what I did.

My Granddad was an old mule skinner and always gave me a Silver Dollar for my birthday every year until I was 18 so I used an 1882 American Eagle to top the knob off with.

I like the look and will remember my Granddad every time I get in the Willys.
Brother, have you had your shift know appraised? It might be worth more than the rest of the ride.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1882-o-1/7136

It does look nice.

Latest posts

Back