Kool Rat, under 3grand, 25 mpg

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinatrakool

I scored a '39 chopped cab, hood,hood sides, grill shell,and a air bagged s10 chassis for 5 hundge.

I know the rat s10 combo is beat to death, but run what ya brung is the motto 'eh!

I had to figure out how to beat the ugly out of the s10 front frame, so dug threw some and found a tubular axle from an old gasser maybe.....my buddy has a '46 chevy project going and he needed some carbuerators...one swap later I got a drum to drum front end and a home made hair pin bat wing set for my axle, all the brakes and drag link will swap to my axle....sweet. thinking of a re-location of the front axle and using the s10 bags up front, or maybe quarter eliptical...and using the s10 rear suspension as is.....any ideas, pics of this type of build would be awesome. will post pics of the pile when I get it all in one place.

initial: 5 hunge
trade: 2 hunge for the cost of the carbs when I got them.
total: 7 hunge

needed:
2- 6 lug chevy artillery wheels
downflow radiator
'39 ford windshield frame
bed sides

Last edited:
I like the idea of the quarter elliptical front end...front airbags on a hot rod are hard to hide and take away from the "Rod" theme if they are out in the open...just my .02.

yeah, I agree, I was thinking of hiding them behind the grill, using bell cranks, and putting the radiator out back? maybe?I have always like quarter eliptical front ends though......thanks for the input,IHC.

We all have a way of clearing our thoughts, better to throw a wrench than the Beer!

Scored a 1978
Chevy 6 ft stepside bed today, galvanized, almost to nice to cut up! Almost!

2 hunge

We are at maybe 9 bucks! Have just about all the pieces, now need some time worts torch!

I am atemping to use 1/4 elip, springs on the front of mine. But still not real sure about it, it is cause'n some problems with steering right now with the stock frame but I am close to building a new frame so I will see what happens then. Post some pics of how you have it set up.

Attachments

• S6301271 002.jpg
    S6301271 002.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 244
  • S6301274 005.jpg
    S6301274 005.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 192
Cosmic, looks like you might have some clearance issues
. Maybe put the drag link out front?

I started hacking at the s10, and I think I figured out a way to use the air bags, and the ibeam! Gonna hide the bags behind the lower hood and grill valence.I think I can turn the pitman arm around and make a cross steer setup. hoping we can beat or cut the ugly out of the s10 chassis! We will see!

I am atemping to use 1/4 elip, springs on the front of mine. But still not real sure about it, it is cause'n some problems with steering right now with the stock frame but I am close to building a new frame so I will see what happens then. Post some pics of how you have it set up.

You might want to think about moving the steering arms above the springs or in front of the axle.

-Troy

If you are halfway shooting for gas mileage, the gasser look is out of the question. You will catch too much air.

You need to think more along the lines of a salt flats racer. ...everything tucked in/smoothed over to cut through the wind easier.

A bonneville styled truck on the street would be cool.

Somebody on the ham is doing one

Picture055.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back