47 Ford truck project

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Got the truck home and have started on her, I have no real plans as of yet as to what I'm gonna do with her except a chop & suicide doors, the rest is "Fly by the seat of my pants".

Here's some pics of how I found her and getting her home
091.jpg

092.jpg

094.jpg

dragging her home.jpg

Decided on a 4" chop and started laying her out. It set pretty even on the floor so I just measured up from the floor for my lower cut line then measured up 4" from there. The rear of the cab was easy to mark but the front was a bit more challenging. So I rigged up a device for a more accurate cut line. I took my rolling welding table and placed a rolling barrel cart on top of it, then clamped a magic marker into a piece of angle. I got my height ste then slid it in to make contact with the cab and was able to just roll the barrel dolly around marking the cab.[cl
cab layed out for chop.jpg

marking cab tool 4.jpg

marking cab tool.jpg

marking cab tool2.jpg

marking cab tool5.jpg

Alright Charley! [cl[cl[cl That is a good looking pile of Ford parts man [dr Love those year trucks. That door add looks cool too........keeping it? When you chop it I vote "mail slot" back glass :cool:

Carry on bro, I'll be watchin' [P[P[P

Thanks guys, I'm gonna try and leave the door art but I think some of it has been sanded away, the other door has been painted over so I'll try an remove the paint layer by layer to get to the art on that door.

As for the mail slot window that was a no brainer[S Those look cool[dr

My plans for using some of the original parts of course include the front axle, but I also really want to use the banjo rear end. I talked to a guy at the car show Friday night and he said they make gear sets for them so I can get a taller more hiway friendly gear ratio. I really like the looks of them & want to use it in a way where it is very visible.

I'm undecided as whether I'll use the fenders, hood and grill or go with an open fenderless look.[S I like both.

I'm thinking of a possible rear suicide style suspension.

Think I'm gonna build a frame and try and sell the original one.

Set the top back on & was very happy with the look. The front fit & lined up beautifully, the rear was not so lucky on. The rear was a little narrower on the top than the bottom, my plan to fix that with the least amount of work is to split the lower cab section vertically in the center of the window and pinch it in. Seems like the best place to do the adjustments without dealing with any radius's.

That rear mail slot looks sick[dr gonna be very happy with the whole thing[cl
chop fit1.jpg

chop fit2.jpg

chop fit3.jpg

chop fit4.jpg

chop fit5.jpg

Dag gone! U drinkin energy drinks? Yer flyin thru this build CD! RR[P

Actually I had to put her in park today, had to go get a test cut on my buddies CNC plasma cutter for a job bid (took half the day) went to HF to get welding clamps to weld the cab back together, laid down for a nap before I have to go into my new 3rd shift job working 12 hours/6 days a week. Got woke up an hour early by a customer:mad:

I'll get back at it tomorrow:D

I was reading a thread where a guy basically gave up and sold his truck because of a couple mistakes he made on his chop. So I'm gonna ask a question or for advice now before I do what I think is what I need to do[S

My side to side difference at the rear of the cab where the cut line meets is about 1/2" difference )top narrower than bottom) My fix is to cut the cab vertically in the center of the mail slot down to the bottom then pinch it in to match. Anybody see a problem with this? seems like the easiest route. I will cut the floor out first.

I'm gonna brace the lower section of the cab with square tubing to keep it square and make the rear tubing slide inside of another to allow the pinch in movement.

I was reading a thread where a guy basically gave up and sold his truck because of a couple mistakes he made on his chop. So I'm gonna ask a question or for advice now before I do what I think is what I need to do[S

My side to side difference at the rear of the cab where the cut line meets is about 1/2" difference )top narrower than bottom) My fix is to cut the cab vertically in the center of the mail slot down to the bottom then pinch it in to match. Anybody see a problem with this? seems like the easiest route. I will cut the floor out first.

I'm gonna brace the lower section of the cab with square tubing to keep it square and make the rear tubing slide inside of another to allow the pinch in movement.

Why not just split the top and widen it out to fit your corners it seems to me that spliting the lower part of the cab would be alot more work

I cut the cab in two front to back on my Willys and spread it out to match the bottom. Mine was more than a half inch though. Also I cut a section out around my window and let it come straight down.. ......I can't seem to find a pic that shows it well but these might help.

lookingoutbackLarge.jpg

78DriprailgonefrombackofcabLarge.jpg

10splitandtackedbackon.jpg

.....I'm not sure I follow you completely but if you mean cutting a line from the bottom of the window to the bottom of the cab and pinching it in...then the problem I see would be that you would have to be sure you kept it on it's original plane so that your rear jamb and front jamb would stay parallel [S Does that make sense :confused: Not trying to confuse....just trying to help :eek:

I think LuckyDevil is correct. All the chops I've ever seen done, they widened the roof to line up with the lower part of the cab. If you do what you're thinking, your doors might not close. ???????????.....don't know, just a thought.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back