96 GMC rat build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK...so I've got the roof finished welded...finally

Darn......finally got a few hours to work on the thing.....(maybe that's what I should call her....The Thing)..anyway...my mind drifts a bit....got the roof finished as to the welding and grinding....had to do a bit of shrinking and stretching here and there and still have to get the center of the filler in the back to rise a bit but it's on ........ the roof lines are pretty close to the orignal curves and it shouldn't take much filler....regardless of how it looks it's pretty close...if I can get the low spot in the back hammered out....ran out of time yesterday before work...I know the pic is a bit deceiving as it looks like there is a big dip in the roof on the drivers side thru the middle but it's a lighting / shadow issue from sanding some of it and not all and the way the light is hitting it...the only major low spot is the center back where the piece was sectioned in....I will be working on getting that straight and some mud on it in the next couple days.......not a lot but something.....

Attachments

• roof welds completed1.jpg
    roof welds completed1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 127
Looking good to me! I'd have a hard time with that thin stuff.

Peep mirrors. Try finding some rectangle ones like on my Olds - those would look good on that squared style cab.

Top looks good[cl looks like min on the mud. I still going to stick to the round stuff. 2 things I can't do without making lumps flat tin and potaters.

thanks guys....

Been a ton of things going on at home and work so time has been a bit scarce....won't bother you with the details but will snap some pics everytime i'm workin on the Thing....Thanks for the encouragement.....hope I can do the same back.....:D

You should get extra credit for tackling a late model. Looks real good to me. Don't let life's responsibilities get in the way of car (truck) building.:D

Thanks Bob...I'll take any credit I can get...lol

How do they say it? "When life gives you lemons you make lemonade"? or something like that...:D...I'm smiling....:D

thanks .......

I'm hoping for a full day on Saturday....but don't tell anyone.....especially my wife....she'll want to go shopping!! Shhhhhhhhh....

Ok...this am...before work...

started to sand the rest of the roof....Didn't like the way the roof flexed....didn't oil can like popping bad just felt flimsy especially in the center....so...I used 1/4" round bar to make up reinforcement rods for the inside...I had already cut out the center inner roof....to about 4" all around the edges...then I tacked in the bars...the photo shows most of it...I made a kind of internal skeleton and that roof doesn't flex a bit....I'll paint it up, make a head liner that covers all of that to the edge...maybe a nice mexican blanket I bought in AZ last month....sorry about the shot, it's off my crappy cell phone again....wasn't going to put this in until I was done with roof but what the heck...might as well....

Attachments

• inner roof section.jpg
    inner roof section.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 81
Good luck on it today (00:56 here!) I have been following this one but neglected to post until now. Reports done I am 10-2 for some sleep![P

My hat's also off to you for tackling a late model. [cl

Nothing irritates me like a flimsy panel, especially when trying to sand it. :mad: Good idea with the rods, the filler should come off quick now!

inner20roof20section.jpg

Ok...Saturday all day I didn't get bothered..

most of the filler is on and leveled...skim coat ready...B pillars roughed in with filler as is the door opening and bed where the gas door used to be....cut out the patches for the shaved door handles and side mirrors....did most of the little stuff while waiting for the filler to set up.... think I've made some progress but would be nice to have a couple of full days to work on it....Sunday, xmas shopping, family dinner and then got some OT to cover the overlap from 10p to 3a....OT or TV? OT!....sorry about the pics....I really need a new camera.....maybe I'll get one for xmas??

Attachments

• Roof with body filler1.jpg
    Roof with body filler1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Roof with body filler3.jpg
    Roof with body filler3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 94

Latest posts

Back