"Paradise Road"......first house on the right

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the reality TV shows have drama. Like E-man said, you have the rain. Throw a half dozen water moccasins in the place and we'll have real drama.

Great build by the way. Are you working a regular job while you are building the house?

No water moccasins here at the "Snake Farm" Bob, but there's definitely been enough water for them. :D
Pretty much just the two of us but we are working on this full time (6 days a week) .........I've taken a "sabbatical" from my regular job.

...........or at least a tarp over it. The strand board and laminated I beams don't like to be wet for long.

The sub floor I'm using is Weyerhaeuser Edge Gold good for 200 days exposure. I've always used Advantech brand before without any problems and so far this stuff seems to be performing the same so I should be good on the floor. Always keep a good eye on the I-Joists and so far they have have not been majorly wet.....always keep the fans going too in new construction right up to drywall time.

Really looks like with all the rain you get you should consider some pontoons on it or something.....

Or maybe some scuba gear to work in :p

Look on the bright side, If it leaks that bad you won't need to add a sprinkler system.

All good points but I finally took my own advice and decided to try the "pointy top" :p

So I ordered up some sunshine, rounded up a couple extra guys and started framing the upper roof......

By the end of the day we had this.......

And by dark we had............you guessed it, rain :eek:

Next day was pretty though and the two of us finished the rafters......

Those funny looking things on top are the rakes (or overhangs).....

Assembled them there near where they go so we don't have far to move them into place.

Well guys, another post or two and I'll have you caught up to where I am at present.........so things will slow down to "real time" soon. :eek:

To be continued......

For a couple of "Old Guys" you move faster than most young punks I know.....

There you go again.....accusing me of being fast. :D We get a young guy at work every once in a while that is all gung ho and slam banging around and I always tell them hey, "I need you to work all day....not all at once" My secret to getting stuff done has always been "a steady pace" ;) I go slow enough to look ahead and I try to make all my moves deliberately and calculated with no wasted motion.......like if you climb down from the roof to go the bathroom you bring a bundle of shingles back with you. I've worked side by side with folks before that appear to be out pacing me by a long shot but at the end of the day I have accomplished more while they have worn down or are redoing something because they got in a hurry. I'm not saying I don't mess up now and then but I don't have to back up much.
You are right about the "Old Guys" part though and we really aren't doing too bad for just the two of us. With the rough start we had on the footer and foundation we didn't start any wood until July 17 so I'm pleased with that aspect of it. :cool:

Well, with rafters up we turned our attention to the gable ends......

A little framing....

Dang, this thing is getting high!

Guess where the other end of that tape measure is......

And yes that is a self portrait.........couldn't get anyone else to climb up there with me LOL

Got some sheathing on the gables.......

The 39 foot end.........

And finally some roof sheathing!

To be continued......

This foggy morning was the last time for this view ........

Gable roof of main house dried in [cl

Gunner visits the attic for the first time......

Guessing it won't be his last though....what boy wouldn't like a nice big attic to play in. ;)

This guy and another one a little bigger have been visiting regularly too.....

And now to tend to this gaping hole over the kitchen/mud room........

Takes as long for a roof like this as it does for the big one upstairs....

Getting close to getting this thing in the dry!

To be continued.......

Well, the weather has been kind for a change and last week after finishing the framing on the side roof........

I had my "man" clean up a little......

.....and then we put on some sheathing and grabbed the Titanium.......

....came up a little short and not wanting to buy a 10 square roll when I only needed a bout a square and a half, I found this similar underlayment in a small roll......had to chuckle at the warning printed on it

....believe me I've worked with a few guys who would try it though :eek:

So there you have it, the long awaited day that the weather no longer prevents me from working........dry at last!

I have the excavation guy coming back to do back fill, garage site, septic system and water line so the beginning of this week found me back in the lumber jack mode clearing more trees.

Going from this view........

To this.....

Right now I'm waiting for it to get daylight so I can start working my way down the back of the house with house wrap and get that scaffold torn down and out of the way.

So there you have it, this thread is going "real time" as of today so any progress you see from here on out will have happened between posts......the problem is I've made the big show and now for a while we'll be doing stuff that don't show much. :)

To be continued.....

Very well done!!! You can come do work for me any time!!!

Your friend in the woods looks to be a magnificent creature!!! Late at night/early morning I used to sit in the front room of my parents house and watch them come in and eat the flowers from mom's flower bed.

Its like building a car, looks like a ton of progress right away then it looks like it slows to a crawl.

Good work.

......Your friend in the woods looks to be a magnificent creature!!!

Yeah he's a nice one for sure! He's been running with another one that has a bigger rack...in fact his friend was about 20 yards from him when I took this pic but he wasn't showing his head long enough at a time for a pic. Nice racks but both are just eight points, there are several smaller bucks in the area this year and neighbors have reported seeing a ten point but I've yet to spot him.

Its like building a car, looks like a ton of progress right away then it looks like it slows to a crawl.

Good work.

Yeah, some days it shows and some days it don't. It's always interesting to see client's reactions as a project progresses.....the things they notice and the things they don't. Had some folks one time that were just bowled over when the drywall went in and were so impressed when we put the first coat of paint on the walls. They came back the next day and wondered aloud what we had done that day and I said "uh, we put a second coat of paint on this whole place" :rolleyes:

We did end up making a little bit of a show after all yesterday, with some house wrap and scaffold tear down.......

The exterior doors and windows are on order so prepping for them is at the top of the list along with getting stuff out of the way for the excavation guy.

To be continued.....

Working our way around the front with the house wrap......

.....cutting out the window and door openings and getting the scaffold off the wall sure makes a difference too. :D

To be continued........

Geat job....of course!

Outstanding Ray. I am really enjoying this thread because I built a couple houses over the years. I love the smell of lumber and dirt. I know...that doesn't sound right...but it's true. Materials have changed so much, I would be lost now.

Keep building....we be watching.[cl

Lynn

Latest posts

Back