Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whispers of what will be.:cool:
I believe that S10 wheel base being 1"??? shorter is going to work to my advantage.:)
Couldn't get the core support out so I cut it away up to the radiator on the DS.
Rear edge of the fender is where it is supposed to be.
The front end of the fender needs to swing inwards more. That will open up the fender/door gap too.
Since the front of the fender is going wide I put the mock up tire in the opening up against the tire that on there. The mock up tire is centered with the hub.

Placement looks good. The bit shorter S10 wheel base has placed the wheels in a better position in the openings then the stock Dodge wheelbase did.[cl :cool:
Now it's a matter of deciding the front lowering amount.
I'm not set in stone on the 800X 15's as I could go with a lower profile as well. The mock up tire is about 2 inches taller then the mounted tires.
Thanks for the comments.
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18

Thanks Skip. Getting there.
In regards to tires.
The mock up tire in 800x15. It's very tall coming in at 29".
I could got to a 640x15 with a 3 inch white wall. It is 26.88" tall.
The tires on the car now are 205-75R15. 27"
So the 640x15's would be close to that same height.
Torchie

Attachments

• 14515039317681234216767.png
    14515039317681234216767.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 1
Torchie, my first impression of the tire in the fender well shot is, that tire really fills up the wheel well, maybe a little bit too much. My vote is for the 640-15's.
What good luck, having a frame swap be better than the original. You seem to bring all of the luck your way.
Keep up the good work.

Torchie, my first impression of the tire in the fender well shot is, that tire really fills up the wheel well, maybe a little bit too much. My vote is for the 640-15's.
What good luck, having a frame swap be better than the original. You seem to bring all of the luck your way.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mac. I can use some luck on this one , Mac.
It’s been a slog.....
The mock up tire is tall to be sure but remember it’s also sitting in front of another tire so it’s too far out of the opening.
My concern is a tire that looks small in the front fender especially. That's a big old opening .
I’m going to see if I can figure out what size tires came on the Dodge originally.
Torchie
Added...
Original factory tires on the 49 Dodge Coronet were 710x15. According to Coker tires they are anywhere from 27.75-28.88" " tall. The 27.75" ones could work..
If you go to the Coker site you can see the 3.
Firestone-3-3/4" WW.
BF Goodrich. 3-7/8" WW
US Royal. 3.1/4" WW.
I like the looks of the US Royal. Plus its a bit smaller then stock.

Last edited:
wow! [cl[cl[cl

My concern is a tire that looks small in the front fender especially. That's a big old opening .

27 should work, I use 215/75/15 on the front of old chevy trucks and its a good diameter.

did you find a distributor yet? I have one i found inexplicably in a box of stuff, it needs a cap and rotor but for testing purposes it might work

wow! [cl[cl[cl

27 should work, I use 215/75/15 on the front of old chevy trucks and its a good diameter.

did you find a distributor yet? I have one i found inexplicably in a box of stuff, it needs a cap and rotor but for testing purposes it might work

No distributor yet, Joedoh.
The US Royal bias ply tire that I have on the list is just a skosh over 27" as well as a Goodrich 640x15 that just a bit under 27"
Torchie

Lets see what fits.
The 4.3 is going to need to be moved back closer to the fire wall.
No room in front of it for a Rad.
Lots of room in the front wheel opening. The rollers on it are about 25-1/2" tall.
Thanks for visiting.
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 13
p.s. Anybody heard anything from Dr Crankenstein lately. He seems to have gone radio silence?????

I've had a rash of personal issues recently, including a non-covid illness I won't get into here. These things have severely reduced my time and participation lately, but the smoke is clearing!

Lets see what fits.
The 4.3 is going to need to be moved back closer to the fire wall.
No room in front of it for a Rad.
Lots of room in the front wheel opening. The rollers on it are about 25-1/2" tall.
Thanks for visiting.
Keep on keeping on.
Torchie

From my recollection, you'll probably end up moving your engine mounts back between 4 and 8", depending on the shape of the cowl and firewall on the Plymouth. Mine went back 8" from the stock S10 location to be in the right spot for my 455.

From my recollection, you'll probably end up moving your engine mounts back between 4 and 8", depending on the shape of the cowl and firewall on the Plymouth. Mine went back 8" from the stock S10 location to be in the right spot for my 455.

First pic shows the space between the back of the 4.3 and the firewall, Snopro.
About 10 inches.
Next pic shows the tab on the front fender that attaches to the stock core support from the Dodge.
Next 2 pics shows the support that I tacked together. It's right up against the face of the tensioner pulley.:eek:
This is what I know as of now.......
1.I bought this S 10 strictly for the chassie. With no notion of this engine working or not.
2.I don't want to throw money at this engine just to see if it will even run. (Altenator. Plug wires. cap. rotor. and a dist. Not to mention that the main harness was cut .
3. If I have to move the engine mounts to even get the 4.3 to fit I'm just going to do a V8 swap. No computers. No FI .No electronic trans. No FI fuel pump and gas tank. Keep it simple. Just like me.:p
I know I've bounced around a lot on this project with different chassis ,ect.
That's just the way it is sometimes.:rolleyes:
So for now I'm going to leave the 4.3 in there for the weight. Get the front sheet metal on and do what I need to do to get the stance where I want it. Keeping in mind that a V-8 will add extra weight to the front end(Ill stack sand bags on it to add the extra weight if I have to) as well as pushing back the trans into the cabin more.
Got to keep moving forward.
Keep on keeping on......
Torchie

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 19
First pic shows the space between the back of the 4.3 and the firewall, Snopro.
About 10 inches.
Next pic shows the tab on the front fender that attaches to the stock core support from the Dodge.
Next 2 pics shows the support that I tacked together. It's right up against the face of the tensioner pulley.:eek:
This is what I know as of now.......
1.I bought this S 10 strictly for the chassie. With no notion of this engine working or not.
2.I don't want to throw money at this engine just to see if it will even run. (Altenator. Plug wires. cap. rotor. and a dist. Not to mention that the main harness was cut .
3. If I have to move the engine mounts to even get the 4.3 to fit I'm just going to do a V8 swap. No computers. No FI .No electronic trans. No FI fuel pump and gas tank. Keep it simple. Just like me.:p
I know I've bounced around a lot on this project with different chassis ,ect.
That's just the way it is sometimes.:rolleyes:
So for now I'm going to leave the 4.3 in there for the weight. Get the front sheet metal on and do what I need to do to get the stance where I want it. Keeping in mind that a V-8 will add extra weight to the front end(Ill stack sand bags on it to add the extra weight if I have to) as well as pushing back the trans into the cabin more.
Got to keep moving forward.
Keep on keeping on......
Torchie

Yeah, regardless of the engine you end up using, it will be the same method of moving the mounts back. Just the placement of the mounts may be different.

Latest posts

Back