Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ugh another cold day in purgatory

wind yourself up like a rubber band torchie and when the weather finally cooperates, PEOWWW

LOL. Thanks gang.
We had snow this time last year as well.:eek:
Still cold but not snowing at least.
I'm getting impatient to get back to work on it.
I just ordered enough boat supplies to get me through the install of the plywood inner layer on the boat hull. Then it's going to be up to my Bro -in- law to get the planks needed so I will get back at the Dodge while I'm waiting.
That's the plan as of today, anyway.[ddd [ddd
Keeping on .......:)
Torchie

I have slowly been picking up much needed pieces for the Dodge.
This car was just a body shell when I got it. It didn't even have all the fenders.
I bought a set of headlight trim rings off e-bay. Great price. $10 for the pair. Shipping was about the same from Cali.:eek: :)
I wanted the stock rings because I like the shape of them,But...... They are pot metal.:eek: And since I plan on doing the traditional style "Frenched" headlights I will have to go a little modern and bond them to the front fenders instead of welding them.
To make sure that they were indeed Dodge I trucked up to the sheet metal pile to check them for fit.[cl:D :cool:
You can also see the two extra doors I got a while back from the local yard. They have the interior garnish Moldings as well as the window actuators. All of which is missing on from my car.
Dodge stuff of this era is much Harder to find then Plymouth. So I'm keeping my eye out.
I still have to get back to the local yard and check the remains of that 49 Dodge Wayfarer that the doors came off of.
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie.
p.s. We have snow forecast for Wed.:eek: :confused::(

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19
I've found that you'd better buy it when you find it with old Dodge parts.
Looking forward to see what else you do with your Mopar project.

Night time temps are making it to cold for the use of the 5200 on the boat bottom so time to get back to the dodge.
Dragged in one of the front fenders.
As I posted before I'm going to do a Traditional French'd headlight on this car. No tunneled with a wide inner SS trim strip.
So here we go.
The stock bucket is mounted the the fender from the front. as is typical of all the cars from this era.
The trad way is to mount the bucket from the inside of the fender. So yes. When you burn out a headlight you have to reach up into the fender to remove the bucket and replace the bulb. The cost of looking :cool: :cool:
Next issue. I'm using the stock Dodge trim ring as that is the shape I like the best. It's often called the "Bullet" shape.:eek:
But .... the stock trim rings are Pot Metal. So no welding or brazing.
I'm going to bond these to the fenders with some sort of space age epoxy.:D
And yes I've heard all the horror stories about doing this but I have seen it done before with no issues.
I could use the Ford or Merc steel rings of the era Bit I don't like the shape. All the Mopars are pot metal as well so no different choices there.
And the Chevies are SS, at least all the ones I've seen.
There is a guy that makes steel Chevy ones but they also use a wide SS inner trim ring and are some what tunneled. Plus they are $220 a pair.
Last 3 pics shows the shape I'm after.
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-3.jpg
    2-3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 17
Coming along nicely [cl
If you find things in SoCal and if I can help save a fewbucks by picking up and shipping I'm here for you. Any thing in the greater L.A. area.
Keep it up, we're enjoying it lots! %[P%

Thanks soltz. 👍😎
I really appreciate the offer.The big thing I really need is the outside trim around the windshield as well as the inside windshield garnish molding.
Thought I had a lead on a couple on eBay but one had already sold off the center strip from the outer trim as well as the interior garnish trim any the other one wants wants $225 for the outer trim and it’s missing one of the little caps that covers the joint that connects the center trim to the surrounding windshield trim.
So I keep watching.
Torchie

Torchie is there anything on this that you need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of Cranbrook 001.jpg
    Resize of Cranbrook 001.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Resize of Cranbrook 002.jpg
    Resize of Cranbrook 002.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Resize of Cranbrook 004.jpg
    Resize of Cranbrook 004.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 50
  • Resize of Cranbrook 005.jpg
    Resize of Cranbrook 005.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks Dozer.:)
It looks to be a 52 Plymouth Cranbrook.
Unfortunately nothing will fit on my Dodge as the Dodges and the Plymouth's were entirely different cars.:(
The 49-50 DeSoto is the same Body shell as the 49-50 Dodge so some of the parts from that would work. The windshield trim is somewhat different from the DeSoto to the Dodge but at least the opening is the same shape.
I'm hoping to get back out to my local yard to see what's left on the 49 Dodge Wayfarer that I got the doors off of.
It's a different wheel base then the Coronet but it's in the length of the body shell. Front sheet metal, etc, is the same as the Coronet.
Torchie

Here is 2 pics for comparison.
One is a 49 Dodge Coronet, like mine.
The other is the 49 DeSoto.
The windshield trim looks the same as does the belt line trim just below the side windows.
Torchie

Attachments

• 16438103-1949-dodge-coronet-thumb.jpg
    16438103-1949-dodge-coronet-thumb.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 3-6-e1564412905333-630x390.jpg
    3-6-e1564412905333-630x390.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 20
:cool:I would have figured the DeSoto was a bigger car than the Dodge

It is OI but only from the firewall forward.
Kind of like the 46-48 Fords and Mercury. Same body shell but with longer front sheet Metal for the Mercury .
I also looked at pics of a 49 Chrysler Custom coupe ( I think it was) and that body shell also looked the same.
The Dodges were big cars for their time. That’s why nothing from the Plymouth works for them.
The word is supposedly Saturday for a trip to the local yard to check on the Dodge there.
I need my friend to go with me as it’s not exactly in a handicap accessible spot.
Imaging that 😳
Torchie

Thanks Dozer.:)
It looks to be a 52 Plymouth Cranbrook.
Unfortunately nothing will fit on my Dodge as the Dodges and the Plymouth's were entirely different cars.:(
The 49-50 DeSoto is the same Body shell as the 49-50 Dodge so some of the parts from that would work. The windshield trim is somewhat different from the DeSoto to the Dodge but at least the opening is the same shape.
I'm hoping to get back out to my local yard to see what's left on the 49 Dodge Wayfarer that I got the doors off of.
It's a different wheel base then the Coronet but it's in the length of the body shell. Front sheet metal, etc, is the same as the Coronet.
Torchie

Well that sucks cuz everything on it is free, I don't know of any others in this part of the country.

Latest posts

Back