1937 Ford Pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready to weld.

Tonight I got the rails all squared, leveled and braced. Next is fitting the front crossmember and welding it in. After that the rear section gets set up and welded in. [;)

Thanks Dutch. The uprights aren't as rigid as I would like but I can work around that. I can also use this later for other jobs. I made it adjustable and I'm glad I did. It takes away rigidity but makes it more versatile.

I got the front crossmember in tonight. That went well. I also worked on the rear kick ups. That didn't Go so well. I welded one of the the inset pieces to the upright upside down and backwards. Oh well. I'm going to go through a lot of cutting wheels tomorrow. [;)

I got the front crossmember in tonight. That went well. I also worked on the rear kick ups. That didn't Go so well. I welded one of the the inset pieces to the upright upside down and backwards. Oh well. I'm going to go through a lot of cutting wheels tomorrow. [;)

Ya. Not the end of the world. I was tired and trying to finish up for the night. I broke my rule of tack it together and check for fit before final weld. I marked them with a sharpie so I might get them right this time. [;)

luckily I bought a half a pallet of cut off wheels a few year ago.

You are my car hero today. Bye Mac.:eek: :D :p
I feel your pain.
I had to constantly remind my self that the boat hull I was working on was upside down and back wards as far as Port and Star board went.
Keep at it.[cl :D :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks Torchie; I got the mistake cutoff and put back on, properly this time. I would have gotten more done today but I had to go to the registry, Fight with the social security administration. argue with Verizon about my bill and go grocery shopping. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. Back to welding

Got some stuff done today. Welded the rear kickups in and the fish plates in the frame rails. I spent a lot of time making sure everything was plumb, level and square. and I braced the daylights out of it as I went. I had enough bracing in it that if you stood it on end it would have looked like the Eiffiel tower. The best I can tell I'm a 1/16 out of square. I think that's close enough. Tomorrow I want to take out the rest of the braces and set the engine, trans and cab in place. from there it will be figuring out the X member and what pedals and master master cylinder to use. I'm trying to figure out whether to use a double master and swinging pedal with a balance bar or an under floor set up with a booster and conventional master cylinder.[S[;)[;)

Attachments

• DSC01378.JPG
    DSC01378.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01377.JPG
    DSC01377.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01376.JPG
    DSC01376.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01375.JPG
    DSC01375.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01374.JPG
    DSC01374.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01373.JPG
    DSC01373.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01372.JPG
    DSC01372.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01371.JPG
    DSC01371.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01370.JPG
    DSC01370.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01369.JPG
    DSC01369.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 38
Thanks guys. Dozer, I still have a hard time with vertical and over head welds. I know they're strong just not pretty. I don't like having to grind welds but in this case I'm going to anyway.

Kenny, when doing vertical welds , most common problem is "drowning " your wire in the puddle. Back off the wire feed and make sure you`ve got a decent V for good penetration. I hold my torch at about 45`and let the puddle pre heat the deep end of the V and then push it back up to fill. Hope that makes sense.
I would stongly advise to flip the frame to do the welds on the underside.

The best I can tell I'm a 1/16 out of square. I think that's close enough.

You'll never find a factory built car that close!

I'm trying to figure out whether to use a double master and swinging pedal with a balance bar or an under floor set up with a booster and conventional master cylinder.[S[;)[;)

I've found an under floor better in tight spaces but that's just me!

Very nice work!!! [cl

BoB

Latest posts

Back