Quick TH350 question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_bull

First time building a car completely. Custom frame, air bags, etc. Using a TH350 for transmission. This is a newly rebuilt transmission (no fluid in it). I'd read anywhere from 9-11 quarts on a completely empty trans. I'd poured a quart in the torque converter prior to stabbing it in the car. I poured two gallons in it from the dipstick tube and about 20 minutes later I started seeing a drip from the rear seal. When I pulled the driveshaft out to check the seal, about 2 quarts fell onto the floor. The car is sitting level in the garage on jack stands as I'm not quite ready to drive it yet. Did I overfill it? Is there an internal seal that failed? I didnt rebuild the trans, my dad bought it from a friend that does them. One side note question. The output shaft has a slight side to side play. Is that normal? Thanks in advance guys!

You will probably get more expert advice from someone else here but here goes. I fill them about half to three fourths and then run the engine. As the fluid circulates and fills the torque converter and other areas of the trans I add more until I get a full reading on the stick. I have seen some play on the output shaft. Less is better. The slip yoke should steady it.

Probably not over filled as you'll always see some fluid come out when pulling a driveshaft because there's fluid behind that tail shaft seal. I think the reason 2 quarts came out is because the engine had not been started yet? Once you start the engine, the pump in the tranny will suck up all that fluid and fill up the torque converter completely and the rest of the innards. At that point you'll only have around 4 to 5 quarts in the pan so far less would come out if you pulled the driveshaft. The tranny fluid level should be checked with the engine running and the tranny in park. If it's not warmed up I usually leave it about a pint low and check it again after it's good and warm on level ground.

You will probably get more expert advice from someone else here but here goes. I fill them about half to three fourths and then run the engine. As the fluid circulates and fills the torque converter and other areas of the trans I add more until I get a full reading on the stick. I have seen some play on the output shaft. Less is better. The slip yoke should steady it.

Thanks! I didnt even think about the pump not spinning (too many different things to think about as Im almost done, lol).

Probably not over filled as you'll always see some fluid come out when pulling a driveshaft because there's fluid behind that tail shaft seal. I think the reason 2 quarts came out is because the engine had not been started yet? Once you start the engine, the pump in the tranny will suck up all that fluid and fill up the torque converter completely and the rest of the innards. At that point you'll only have around 4 to 5 quarts in the pan so far less would come out if you pulled the driveshaft. The tranny fluid level should be checked with the engine running and the tranny in park. If it's not warmed up I usually leave it about a pint low and check it again after it's good and warm on level ground.

Looks like I'm off to the "get 'em store" to grab a couple additional quarts to install after I set the timing, lol. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back