Water sucks

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowbudget50

Creators of all things awesome
So about a month ago we had a supply line to our downstairs toilet fail. It was a stainless line but it developed a leak at the crimp on the fitting. The bathroom is t used a lot so it took us a while to notice. By the time I spotted it the bathroom, laundry rm and the kits play room had water in them. Mostly the play room. Soaked carpet, baseboards,door jam and sheetrock. I got it cleaned up as quick as I could. Then we instantly started fighting with insurance company. They finally gave us the go-ahead and okayed our bid to get it repaired so I started on that this weekend. It is not going back to a playroom I am building my wife a nice laundry room. We plan on doing some remodeling to the house in the next year or so. I am going to do some rearranging downstairs and make this new laundry room for her. It's in a basement so two of the walls are concrete so I decided to fur out the walls. It will get all shiplap inside of it I'm going to polish the concrete floors. New lighting, we are reusing some original cabinets from the another room in the house for the laundry. They are made of real wood not pressboard like all the new stuff. Save us a bunch of money. I'm going to do under cabinet and tow kick lighting. It's going to be very nice when done. She doesn't have a lot of room in the laundry area right now. Where the washer and dryer are now I will build some shelving for storage for the kids toys. We are also closing off the entrance to the bathroom that's down there and opening it up into the laundry room with a nice old wooden door on a barn slider

In order to put the door in I had to cut a 3-in main vent / drain and solder on a new t and connect the drain from the tub which is 2 in to it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230604-182658.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182658.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230604-182710.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182710.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230604-182609.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182609.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230604-182602.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182602.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230604-182533.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182533.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20230604-182628.jpg
    Screenshot_20230604-182628.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 19
Dang, copper drain! Never saw that before! My stuff is all PVC.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it now, I hate house plumbing! Never understood how something could be hooked up as designed and still leak!

I chased a leak on our newly installed tub recently. First one was around the drain, even though it had putty on it, it leaked. Finally got it sealed, then had another leak, that strangely only happened when I took a shower. I caulked and recaulked around the tub and wall, still happened. It wasn’t a large leak, but still didn’t need water puddling on the floor. Finally found it by accident, it was the stupid shower curtain. Wife had bought one of those fancy cloth outer curtains with the plastic inner one, somehow water was getting between the two, soaking the cloth and dripping on the floor. Next shower I tucked it inside the tub, no wet floor! I was looking for a mechanical leak, and it was a simple oversight. But I still hate plumbing!

Dang, copper drain! Never saw that before! My stuff is all PVC.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it now, I hate house plumbing! Never understood how something could be hooked up as designed and still leak!

I chased a leak on our newly installed tub recently. First one was around the drain, even though it had putty on it, it leaked. Finally got it sealed, then had another leak, that strangely only happened when I took a shower. I caulked and recaulked around the tub and wall, still happened. It wasn’t a large leak, but still didn’t need water puddling on the floor. Finally found it by accident, it was the stupid shower curtain. Wife had bought one of those fancy cloth outer curtains with the plastic inner one, somehow water was getting between the two, soaking the cloth and dripping on the floor. Next shower I tucked it inside the tub, no wet floor! I was looking for a mechanical leak, and it was a simple oversight. But I still hate plumbing!

Oh man I probably would have lost it at that point lol. We have the same style shower curtain and it does drip on the floor every once in awhile. But if I was looking for a leak and then figured out that was it, that's all it would have taken.

A lot of the older houses around here have copper drains in them. Almost all of the plumbing in my house except the new stuff is copper. Big expensive stuff

Nine out of ten floods in a house result in a remodel.

I got up one morning several months ago and found my toilet about to fall through the floor. I literally picked it up and moved it aside without unbolting it. What I discovered and figured out was that when the house was jacked up during foundation repair the wax ring was compromised, and I did not notice the leak because the water was slowly being absorbed into the wood like a sponge. After 7 years the sponge could hold no more water.

Now I have a remodeled bathroom with added bracing with new wood under the john and new tile.

I like the idea of the barn door. Hope to see the finished pics.

Lazarat, you pretty much described what happened to me. Between a leaky wax ring and a drip from a washing machine hose, neither I knew about, my floor disintegrated. Wife noticed a soft spot in front of the sink, after a little poking I was looking at the ground! And when we pulled out the tub, there was a huge hole under it. Apparently the fiberglass tub had a small hole or crack that let water seep through for years. Ended up with new floors, new walls, new ceiling, new tub, new plumbing.

And if I had of known the new water fixtures were going to be low flow, I’d used the old ones again! Like the former President said, not enough water to wash with! Takes twice as long to shower now, where’s the water savings in that?:rolleyes:

Bamavav by low flow you mean the water savers? I believe those can be removed, it’s a flat washer with a small hole, I always remove them from new sinks and shower heads.

My day job is investigating failed components for insurance companies (they pay out your water damage, they sue someone else to recover the costs). I know all too well the severity of damages that can happen from something as simple as a supply line. I've seen some pretty wild stuff.

It sucks you had to fight with the insurance company, but it looks like your new laundry room will end up really nice!

My day job is investigating failed components for insurance companies (they pay out your water damage, they sue someone else to recover the costs). I know all too well the severity of damages that can happen from something as simple as a supply line. I've seen some pretty wild stuff.

It sucks you had to fight with the insurance company, but it looks like your new laundry room will end up really nice!

Typical insurance company stuff. They wanted to pay what their adjusters that it would cost which was a quarter of what our contractor said lol. They send out a 60-year-old woman who's never swung a hammer in her life to tell me how much it's going to cost to fix a room when I'm in the trades and I have a pretty damn good idea. Scares me that people just agree with them and get screwed out of money that they are owed.

Thanks guys it should turn out pretty nice. I'm not a carpenter but I can run some mean under cabinet lighting lol. I'll keep you posted

Bamavav by low flow you mean the water savers? I believe those can be removed, it’s a flat washer with a small hole, I always remove them from new sinks and shower heads.

I tried removing the one on the sink, it made it more like a sprayer without it, you got more water out of the sink than in it! The shower uses tiny feed tubes, no bigger than a Bic pen, where the old one had full 1/2” tubes. No way to change it, either. Even though I have 1/2” line going to the shower head, my old head, I didn’t like the new one, you still have the tiny feed tubes from the valves to the diverter that limit flow. They have made it impossible to alter. Too late to go back to my old ones, I gave them to a guy needing a set.

Well I got some more done on the basement. I got the concrete floors all ground down. That actually ended up not being too bad. The big diamond wheel that I bought peeled the glue right off and clean the surface nicely. Next step I will start polishing it and get it coated. I got the walls finished framed up I got all my electrical ran and plumbing is done. I put a vapor barrier up on the exterior walls this morning and got it insulated and sheeted

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_083415059_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230617_083415059_HDR.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230617_085320525.jpg
    IMG_20230617_085320525.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230617-101538.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617-101538.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230617-101532.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617-101532.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230617-101525.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617-101525.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 11
Progress on the laundry room. I got the floors all sanded down I'm going to put my densifier on it get it buffed up

Attachments

• IMG_20230712_211133552.jpg
    IMG_20230712_211133552.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230712_211800957.jpg
    IMG_20230712_211800957.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9
Almost all the shop lap is done now. Floor is all polished. Making progress

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_214927582_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230802_214927582_HDR.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 13