My rusty/ratty 1948 Chevrolet truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The truck looks great Flipper.. Did you ever decide whether to use the running boards or not. Keep up the good work.

I am going to install them and then see.

I am still having a hard time deciding on the pipes though. With the running boards they look cool coming out the side....but I don't want to screw up the sound too much. I think it would actually cound meaner with both going straight back.

I beat my dash into submission. Glovebox is gone and I fabbed a gauge panel.
HPIM0217.jpg

I know the gauges aren't traditional.....but I have owned them for something like 18 years now and am going to use them.
HPIM0218.jpg

My wood for the underbed area is attached
HPIM0215.jpg

Tail lights are attached
HPIM0223.jpg

The trucks coming along good, Flipper. On the exhaust check out the thread on the wife's 47. Am using sidepipes under the running boards. Might help you decide how to go.

The trucks coming along good, Flipper. On the exhaust check out the thread on the wife's 47. Am using sidepipes under the running boards. Might help you decide how to go.

I think my truck is way to low to go under the running boards

Bed wood is finally cut and fitted
HPIM0233.jpg

Made running board brackets
HPIM0232.jpg

HPIM0227.jpg

Got the radiator mounted. The old oil can is the overflow tank.
HPIM0224.jpg

looks great dude! we have the same air cleaner and valve covers, are u sticking with them or changing them out to something else?

looks great dude! we have the same air cleaner and valve covers, are u sticking with them or changing them out to something else?

They are staying for now.....even though the chrome is really crappy. I don't know how well it will clean up. They were on the motor back when it was in my camaro.

Pictures from this weekend

Exhaust pipes and front bumper are installed

HPIM0239.jpg

Electric fan is mounted and fan shroud fabbed up
HPIM0243.jpg

And the @#$%^!*&^!!!! electric wiper conversion is complete. It took forever to get the wipers to smoothly wipe the entire glass and be timed evenly.
HPIM0245.jpg

The flatbed works

HPIM0240.jpg

coming along fine there. Nice job on the fan & wiper conversion. I lucked out there, mine was already done when we bought it.

coming along fine there. Nice job on the fan & wiper conversion. I lucked out there, mine was already done when we bought it.

The wipers offically sucked trying to convert. :mad: We started out trying to drive the stock vacuum motor with the electric motor.....after wasting too many hours/days on that....we build a new "vacuum motor" with longer arms to drive with the same toyota wiper motor. It works now.

Didn't get it finished this weekend. :mad:

But here are some pics that we took to send to the insurance guy.

Lowered the front bumper. Raised the rear by 1.5" Fixed my F'd up driveshaft. Did some more work on the dash.

HPIM0248.jpg

HPIM0249.jpg

HPIM0251.jpg

I finally cranked it!!!!!!

The big headers and big pipes sound killer. It idles about like a pro-stocker. A little on the loud side, but I'm gonna try it as is (well, maybe put turndowns on the mufflers).

Now I need a gas pedal so I can drive it.

I finally cranked it!!!!!!

The big headers and big pipes sound killer. It idles about like a pro-stocker. A little on the loud side, but I'm gonna try it as is (well, maybe put turndowns on the mufflers).

Now I need a gas pedal so I can drive it.

Awsome there,Flipper. I know your itching to drive it. Now you gotta get some sound & video done to share.

I finally thought to take some pictures of the painted dash
dash1.jpg

dash2.jpg

....and the second "dash" (ignition, headlight switch, wiper switch and dimmer are in the seat base)
switch-panel-6.jpg

Oh yeah, wiring is a pain in the butt!!!! I used an EZ harness. It would have been easier if I mounted the panel on the firewall....like they suggested, instead of under the seat. I had to "adjust" darn near every wire to make it work that way.

Latest posts

Back