Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 PM

Default Lets Talk Brakes Lines!

Alright so I have this awesome 67 International project going that is slowly coming together... I'm in a great debate on brake lines...

Do I want to go through the hassle of learning how to DIY brake lines out of Cunifer or no? Is it a difficult daunting task? Would I be in over my head? What do I need to know BEFORE getting into it? Also, what specialized tools would I need?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Got Fins?

Most everything I imagine used with the older projects is 45 degree flare, so you would need a brake line flare tool, and a tubing cutter, and to sort out what fittings you need for the various components you are connecting.

It's really not that hard flaring lines, however factory original lines can be very hard, and some cannot be re-flared with the simple hand brake line flare tool.

I'd say pick up a bending tool as well to make the custom bends you need, it makes sure the lines do not get kinked when bending them.
1st start up on propane
1st real drive
Old 07-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyrat View Post
Most everything I imagine used with the older projects is 45 degree flare, so you would need a brake line flare tool, and a tubing cutter, and to sort out what fittings you need for the various components you are connecting.

It's really not that hard flaring lines, however factory original lines can be very hard, and some cannot be re-flared with the simple hand brake line flare tool.

I'd say pick up a bending tool as well to make the custom bends you need, it makes sure the lines do not get kinked when bending them.
Okay, I'm not looking to spend a million dollars - I mean, I get it...it's my lives on the line when it comes to the brakes so I'd make sure they are done RIGHT but I'd love to redo them all.

What is all these double flaring, bubble flaring stuff... and as far as fittings - I just need the ones that fit the MC and wheel cylinders right?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
The Rat Master!

You can buy pre made to length lines at any auto parts store, with a little juggling of lengths you can make up what you need. I think they come in increments of 6". They have all kinds of adapters for these lines as well as couplers.

Toll Free 855-TBUCKET
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
You can buy pre made to length lines at any auto parts store, with a little juggling of lengths you can make up what you need. I think they come in increments of 6". They have all kinds of adapters for these lines as well as couplers.
That's the easiest way......
Buy a good bender and you're done.

LOSERS EH C.C Alberta Chapter.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishBob View Post
That's the easiest way......
Buy a good bender and you're done.
What's all this flaring? Double, single, bubble?

Thats my only issue...
Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecster View Post
What's all this flaring? Double, single, bubble?

Thats my only issue...
You won't need to know any of that if you buy em' pre made.They come flared with fittings. That's EB's point all you'll need is a bending tool.

Offroadrolls build:

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23696

42 Chevy PU build:
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthr...ht=42+chevy+pu
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Devil's Advocate

You also don't have to know how to fish if you buy it at the store.

Brake lines are critical components, but they are pretty easy to do with a little practice. Actually I would consider it one of those things everyone SHOULD know how to do. Get yourself a good quality flaring tool, a bender, some fittings & a roll of brake line and start practicing. If you follow some simple directions you will be making custom brake lines in no time withough being subject to pre-made lengths and leak-prone unions. It's not rocket science...
Old 07-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Busted and Rusted on Route 66

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid."

34 Ford Coupe
51 Ford F1
50 Stude Champ
Intro
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
You also don't have to know how to fish if you buy it at the store.

Brake lines are critical components, but they are pretty easy to do with a little practice. Actually I would consider it one of those things everyone SHOULD know how to do. Get yourself a good quality flaring tool, a bender, some fittings & a roll of brake line and start practicing. If you follow some simple directions you will be making custom brake lines in no time withough being subject to pre-made lengths and leak-prone unions. It's not rocket science...
Thank you, any chance you can link me some good flaring tools and a bender? I know I can get a tube cutter from the local hardware store if I don't have one in my old mans tool chest.