Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couper, I've been going every 6 months for at least 10 years. The Doc always finds several spots to freeze. He's done scalpel work 3-4 times. Fortunately nothing worse than Basel Cell.
The last of the scabs are falling off my hands and forearms. Good to go.

Looks like we won't have summer here so my next exam should be good. unless we have a nuclear winter.

I'm using a 2 speed Powerglide transmission in the car. The shifter previously was used on a 700r4. The 700r4 uses a cable shifter and the cable comes out the rear. I fooled around with it and modified it so a rod now comes out the front to work with the Powerglide. Saving dollars wherever I can.

Attachments

• Shifter 001.jpg
    Shifter 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Shifter 002.jpg
    Shifter 002.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 105
OK I would have never thought of the muffler clamp to mount the shifter to the tail shaft housing.

attachment.php

You just have to be a tightwad. A 2 3/4" clamp fits well on the round part of the tail housing containing the seal. It overlaps the back a tiny bit. I welded a piece across the front so it can't slide off the back.

Vortec Head Drama

Time to give the Renault some love. I dropped the Vortec heads off at my favorite engine shop. Unfortunately he was very busy so I brought them home and gave them a bit of a lapping. That worked well. I then put one head in a bath of vinegar for a day to remove surface rust. I was shocked to see the vinegar ate the exhaust seats to the point of ruination. I had another set of Vortecs with a fresh valve job. I am in the process of installing screw in rocker arm studs and the ls6 springs and retainers from the ruined pair.
I can't understand how a day in the vinegar could ruin induction hardened seats.

Attachments

• IMG_2979.jpg
    IMG_2979.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
These heads are getting in my head.

Great pic, e-man. I have a bit higher stance. More gasseresque. The hits just keep coming. I pulled all the rocker arm studs. Pretty hard work. And tapped the holes for the screw in studs. I installed the studs with Locktite thread sealer and torqued them to 25 ft.-lbs. Just like the expert in the You Tube said. He didn't say that two of the stud bosses would crack. I searched around the Googlesphere until I found a backyard hack mechanic that said, "Weld up them there cracks." So I "v" grooved them and did just that. We'll see if it works. Trial by fire.

Attachments

• IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back