Can an oil filter work on it's side ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to get some opinions. I am using an oil filter adapter on the Olds engine in my rpu because I moved the starter to the right side and there is no room for the original oil filter base in that location.

I am going to use a remote oil filter that will mount inside my frame rail next to the transmission and I will have high pressure hoses running from the engine to the oil filter.

But I don't want to orient the filter in the usual "filter straight up and down" position because it would be vulnerable there and could hit pavement possibly. So I am going to put it so the filter is laying on it's side, running along the frame rail.

I know some cars (like a sbf) have the filter on an almost laying flat position, and some cars even have them upside down. So will it work ok laying on it's side like I propose ?

Here is the adapter I am coming off of:

Don

It will be fine. It is under pressure, so it will still do it's job no matter how it's oriented. It might take a second or two longer to fill on start up, but as long as the pump is pumping it won't cause starvation to the engine. My neighbor's Toyota has the filter mounted upside down on top of the engine, so if it was a problem, I don't think they would have mounted it that way from the factory.

That is my thinking too. Here is the base I am using and this is the position it will be in:

I can't see that it would be much different than the angle sbf engines have them on, but just laying a little more flat.

I am thinking that 3/8 hose will be large enough, that is what we have always used for transmission coolers and stuff like that.

Don

Would be fine on its side a lot of 4x4 trucks run adapters turning the filter sideways to clear front drive shafts.

My only recommendation is to make sure and always run good filters so you don't have the possiability of leak down causing dry start especially since it won't be drivin daily

Excellent ! :) Thanks, guys , for confirming my thoughts that it would work. It will make it a whole lot easier to mount this way and tuck it out of harms way.

The only drawback will be not being able to put much oil in the filter at oil change time because it will spill out of the filter as I install it, but that is minor.

Thanks again. I have a rare Saturday off, so today I will get it mounted.

Don

Can't you just place the filter, then roll the motor with the starter without ignition and pump up some oil pressure?

Yeah, I probably could. I plan on keeping the hoses as short as possible and am going to use Russell full flow AN fittings and hose so that I get maximum flow out of it, so it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of boats use remote filters and they have that little lag time until the system fills back up.

Don

Don, maybe ½" ID high pressure hose would be a better choice. That's what came in the kit I got for the 429. The ⅜ is fine for the tranny. With the motor oil, remember that the pump pumps to the filter first. Smaller hoses may not flow enough and let the pump relief valve lift and cut your oil supply down to the engine bearings, lifters, and whatever. Just my 2¢ worth. Later.

Use a good quality filter like a wix with an (r) after the part number. It's the high flow race version. On another forum we were discussing hi flow pumps and standard filters, wear and tear issues do to flow. Just go quality what ever you choose.

You guys are right and that is exactly what I decided to do. I ordered all my Russell AN hoses and fittings from Summit yesterday and I got #6 AN for the trans cooler but larger #8 AN for the engine oil lines. I also bought full flow fittings that allow more oil through, and I bought a Mobil 1 filter that fit my base and got it mounted. When the hoses arrive this week I can wrap it all up.

Don

Looks good Don. You might want to fab up some kind of a heat shield to protect the hoses from the exhaust heat. Wouldn't take much. A cut up beer can or something similar. Anything to keep the hoses cool. Good luck.

I can't see Don putting a cut beer can on his build. I may be wrong. A heat shield is a good idea tho.

Nice clean look Don. Remote filters are a necessity in some cases. Stay after it.

Don, I don't mean to derail the thread, just a quick question.
How well do you know olds engines? Did you build yours?
If so, I need advice from a olds guy who knows how to point me in the right direction.
If not, shoot me down now and I'll leave ya alone :D

Haha, I usually drink the long neck bottle variety. :D Exhaust won't be anywhere near the hoses, I am running lakes headers out the side, no undercar exhaust at all.

Jml, I did build my engine, about maybe 7-9 years ago ( I forget exactly when) I am not an expert, but it was just like any other rebuild pretty much. What questions did you have ?

Don

Latest posts

Back