Another Build ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soltz

The Rat Captain
OK I'll start the build thread. This is going to be a slow go, my helper is busy being a mom, that's a good thing grand kid #4, her first.
I'll put up some pix now to catch up with where i am [;)
The engine and trans are left over from the Sprint build. I got the rolling chassis at a good price[cl We'll see where it goes from here. [S Maybe a VW type T-bucket [S

First start-up :eek: it didn't blow up [cl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxkK6eNN7Ms

I am going to need a title of some type pre 75 to reg it in wonderful Calif [ddd
I had one for a 61 vw bug but it seems i sold the pan after a buggy build and they used the vin# to register it, so that title i can't use :cool:

Attachments

• LUV 001.jpg
    LUV 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 109
  • LUV 004.jpg
    LUV 004.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 98
  • LUV 007.jpg
    LUV 007.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 85
  • LUV 008.jpg
    LUV 008.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 82
  • LUV 015.jpg
    LUV 015.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 94
  • LUV 022.jpg
    LUV 022.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 98
  • LUV 025.jpg
    LUV 025.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 94
That engine LOOKS like the one I want to build for my next project. And it sounds like it works. Please share the specs on it some time along the way. Thanks. :D

That engine LOOKS like the one I want to build for my next project. And it sounds like it works. Please share the specs on it some time along the way. Thanks. :D

Skip, it's a stock 350, mid 80's maybe. It's one of those "running when removed"[S
I figured I would run a oil pres and compression check before trying to start it.
Got it all set up, when i hit the start button it acted like low batt or bad starter. Charged the batt, didn't help. Replaced starter, didn't help. Exchanged new starter for another new starter, didn't help [S
Starting tearing it down and tried cranking after each removal. When i got to the cam gear removed it cranked over just fine. The cam had a very slight bend, maybe .05". But a new Edelbrock mild street cam in, checked all the bearings, honed the cylinders checked the heads and valves.
I liked the looks of the try-Y dual quad intake, got it from one the RRR guys, don't remember who (sorry). Came with 600 cfm Hollys. way to much fuel so I blocked of the front carb and it runs good on just the rear. That's the same set up i had on the 302 in the Willys.

Thanks for the encouragement guys it helps. [;)
Question: Being the frugal builder i am i'm thinking of cutting the rear leaf springs down and using them like a four bar suspension with a panhard bar to stabilize it. Has anyone done this? Or what are your opinions from a safety point of view[S
Thanks again!!![cl

Thanks for the encouragement guys it helps. [;)
Question: Being the frugal builder i am i'm thinking of cutting the rear leaf springs down and using them like a four bar suspension with a panhard bar to stabilize it. Has anyone done this? Or what are your opinions from a safety point of view[S
Thanks again!!![cl
First, thank you for the engine information. Something to ponder.

As for the rear suspension, please expand on what you are thinking. There is a little light going off in the back of my head that this has been discussed in the past, but I am not sure what the outcome was. I think maybe not so good. Hopefully brighter bulbs than mine will shine some light on the subject. :D

Congrats Grandpa!!!!! Grand kids are fun then you can send them home. Was it a boy or a girl?

Your new project looks like it'll be fun.

I never did get my hi rise/ two fours to work right on a stock motor.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Congrats Grandpa!!!!! Grand kids are fun then you can send them home. Was it a boy or a girl?

Your new project looks like it'll be fun.

I never did get my hi rise/ two fours to work right on a stock motor.

Good luck and have fun!!!

It' a Boy, he's 18 months now.

I could never get the stock engine to run two fours either. Thats way I tried shutting one off and worked fine. Some say it will make the front cyc run lean, after 2 or 3,000 miles I found that to not be true, all eight look good. :p

Thanks again!!![cl

Look here Soltz Quarter Elliptic Springs

This is probably the simplest way to do it... triangulated upper bars, adjustable for pinion angle. No panhard required.

6342f1c55f6b3e5cff2f70bb448df503.jpg

Toyota pickup frame?

Chevy LUV, 78 i think.

I saw the 6 lugs to start with, then 5 lugs with the slot wheels, guess that’s what threw me. Frame looks almost the same as the Toyota frame I had, torsion bar front end and all. What are you doing with the front steering? I was going to swap the spindles side for side but never got that far. It would be rear steer if you did that.

Latest posts

Back