Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 10-07-2021, 01:11 PM
Builder Junky!

I want to add to OI's statement on 'legitimate questions'. Not only does the questioner gain valuable information, the rest of the audience who haven't asked yet also do, and the guy with the answer usually has to think about the answer for a while and analyze it, to see if it is flawed or the best for the situation. So everybody gains by good questions being asked.
Old 10-07-2021, 08:16 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

^^yepper^^
Old 10-07-2021, 09:38 PM

Cool Beans....win win for everybody.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
I'm just an observer here but, with that Hemi mounted that high, the truck will have a lot of corner roll.
Setting the bottom of the pan level with the bottom of the frame rail would eliminate some of that.
If you're going to run a mechanical fan that would be more in the center of the radiator too.
Looks very cool!!!!!!!!!
Old Iron....I have a couple questions on the motor height in the bay in reference to the frame rail location. I included a pic for reference.

The bottom of my frame rail under the cab is 6" to the ground.....my cab corners / rear rockers will be about 1/2" above that to protect the body work.
At the location that my motor mount will be the bottom of the frame rail is 11 1/2" and at the rear of the oil pan it's 9" (right under the "t" of stephs sticker).

Do you have an opinion on if the bottom of the oil pan should be at the 11 1/2" or the 9" Or should I just split the difference?

As far as protecting the oil pan goes the bottom of my i-beam axle is 5 1/2" at the center.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5307.jpg (84.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 11:05 AM

This is one of those stupid questions

Looks like I got a little ahead of my self. I adjusted the motor downward 3.5" from where she was and put a 3 degree tilt back on her.

The oil pan is well protected by the frame and I think the engine is low enough to prevent that body roll.

If these dims mean anything it puts the damper bolt 3" above the top of the frame rail and the center of the fan blade 10.5 " above the frame rail

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Couper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5309.jpg (87.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5310.jpg (88.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-09-2021, 08:44 PM

I mounted the adapter plate & trans loosely assembled today and cut the firewall to fit it. Boy....not a lot of foot well room. Thnk god I have small feet....but don't believe everything you here about small feet!

My son Rob worked with me all day today to confirm that the 700R4 Trans and the weight of the cab wouldn't sag the spring any lower. When we got the motor home we loaded it directly on the front end spring.....took her down 4". I wanted to perform the same test with the trans & cab loaded. With the motor set back against the fire wall & the trans bolted up, and the cab weight.... I'm at the same 4".

I yet have to add a converter, starter, alternator, full radiator and a grill....I should be fine with out the "c" notch. Full day of working for this discovery but well worth it.

The lil guy is my grandson. And some goodies showed up today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5314.jpg (102.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5315.jpg (83.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5313.jpg (62.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5316.jpg (103.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5321.jpg (72.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 03:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Cool build, nice having 3 generations together.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looking good! Love those rear meats.
Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

As long as the bottom of the pan is 2" above the bottom of the lowest frame rail, it's good.
Or 2" above the bottom of the front axle, whichever you want.
With the engine at a 3 degree down in the back, this puts the tranny pan around an 1" above the bottom of the frame rail/front axle.
Either one as long as the oil filter clears the top of the frame rail.
The lower you mount the engine/tranny the smaller the tranny tunnel also the further forward you place the engine the more foot room you get.
If you're going to run a mechanical fan the center of the water pump need to be close to the center of the radiator. If you're going to run an electric fan, then this doesn't enter into the equation.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:40 AM
Still crazy after all these years!

Couper, you've got a the best advisor in Old Iron. Keep up the good work.