Tetanus Tornado 49 F6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back in Florida again. Scott hasn't been able to work on on the truck much since I last visited. Busy with life, work and Covid. My plan was to work on wiring this trip. We have a basic 12 circuit harness and no instructions. We are at a loss as to what we are doing. I have figured out the wiring and the connections in the steering column and starter switch, the connections for the headlight switch, high low beam switch. I can figure out how to run the wires to where they need to go. My problem is that I don't know what items need relays. Such as head lights, radiator fan, fuel pump, etc. What needs maxi fuses and what amperage. Like the alternator. Also how do I wire in the alternator to excite it. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dunno if this will help but here's
the diagram for an American Autowire Highway 15 kit, meant to work with GM column and light switch, starter, alternator, etc.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 33
Thanks ZZ. Definite help. It answers the mega fuse question . I see no relays. I know I need one for the radiator fan. From experience I know if I don't have one the fan motor acts as a generator when shut off and the engine will continue to run. We're not running heat or A/C and at this time wipers are probably not going to be used, maybe some day. I would think I need a horn relay, He wants to use the original 6volt horn and by the looks of the wire that came with it it must draw some amperage.[S Still not sure if I need a relay for the fuel pump. It is a Holley red fuel pump. I think it may be over kill and we will end up using some thing else.

The only relays needed are, cooling fan, horn, fuel pump and A/C compressor if used.
Make sure to run a return line on the fuel pump or it will have a good chance of gaulding the veins in it.

What OI said. In the pic of the fuse panel, those 2 white squares are the only relays this uses, one is for the horn, other is for the signals/hazard. Relay for the fuel pump is a great idea.

Thanks guys. Adding a relay for the fuel pump is a good idea. I have one in the fuse box I can use. I picked up a thermostat and relay kit for the cooling fan. I will have to add one or two more. Definitely one for the horn. Do you think the directional switch in a 1991 ford F150 steering column will hold up without a relay?

It's finally all wired and everything works. Scott is going to finish tidying it up with wire loom and anchoring it where it needs to be . It took longer than it should have. A few days of an intestinal bug and then throwing my back out. We're happy with the results. Got to go back to Rhode Island and face reality tomorrow. Thanks for the help and checking in on us.

Latest posts

Back