Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lookin' good Torchie [cl[cl
Could you maybe carve a triangle slice out of the sides of the frame horns and angle the top down that 1 inch to hide them from view better?
To see your creation beside an uncut stocker would really be something to behold. The proportions are so good, it doesn't really look radically different without the stocker perspective to compare it to. [cl[P

Thanks POPS and ZZ.
I’m ruminating on the frame horns, ZZ

I want to get the grill mocked in first to know just how much of the horn tops will actually show.
At some point, once I have the ride height set I will try to rally the troops to push it out next to the donor for a side by side comparison.
Not sure how accurate it will be as the donor is sitting low on old weak spring.
It should be interesting though.
Torchie.

There's been some comments about further cutting of the front horns to perhaps hide them better.
Before I do that I'm going to get the grill mocked into place.
The first 3 pics show the area in front of the rad on the Donor. Notice all the shrouding. I will be doing something like that to the custom. That may solve the issue of how much of that front frame will be seen.
On to the grill.
The 50 Dodge grill is totally different then the 49. So is the grill opening.
I started out with some plumb lines going down through the center of the head lights. Also down from the point of the grill.
The upper bar looks good but the ps is tweaked upwards a bit. in the 4th pic you can see the ps is further away from that factory hole then the ds.
I laid the bottom grill pieces on the pan to get a mark for what needs to get cut back.
These will mount directly to the pan.
That's it for this morning . More later...
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-9.jpg
    0-9.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-10.jpg
    0-10.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-5.jpg
    0-5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-6.jpg
    0-6.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 0-7.jpg
    0-7.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-8.jpg
    0-8.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 19
Thanks kenny and everyone else for sticking with me through this build.:)
I modified the grill during the winter. Now the trick is to make it work on the car.:eek:
With the car being sectioned, the grill opening was sectioned as well.
I cut away the sheet metal as marked and put the ds parking light housing in place.
With it in it's stock position based on the trailing ends of the upper bar it sits right on the pan.
I can raise it up about a half inch then the inside curve of the upper bar gets in the way.
The parking light is where it needs to be, left to right. The inside edge of the tape is the center of the headlight bulb. It falls right at the center of the round parking light housing.
Even raised up I don't think the lower bar that sits on the pan is going to fit.
My first thought is to not use the lower bar at all and just let the simplicity of the center section speak for it's self.
I'll know better once I get the rest of the grill in place.
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie
p.s. looks like the grill bar will go along way towards hiding the frame ends.

Attachments

• 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 0-5.jpg
    0-5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
It's a grill:eek: :D [cl
Covers up the frame ends as well.:cool: :cool:
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-4.jpg
    0-4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 0-5.jpg
    0-5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 0-3.jpg
    0-3.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 19
  • 0-2.jpg
    0-2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 0-9.jpg
    0-9.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 56
Thanks for all the comments, gang.
Im happy with it.:D
Tomorrow I will probably take it all apart.:eek:
I built a sort of core support and it needs to be braced up so I can make sure everything stays where it needs to. I want to get the hood mounted on it's hinges and such so I can move forward with the body work. And of course I still need to build a entire new floor.:eek:[;) [;) Miles to go yet......
My wheel spacer/adapters arrived today. One step closer to having to finalize my tire selection.[S
Keep on keeping on.....
Torchie

Attachments

• 0-8.jpg
    0-8.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back