1945 GMC Prohibition Express

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBeNormal

Well here is my build thread Going to be a slow start butProjects are never fast and never done for that part.

I picked this up a couple weeks ago as an incomplete project. Story goes a guy sold it to a guy and the front end was a suicide style front end that needed new bushings, bearings etc. This guy takes the truck home and decides he wants a better suspension and power steering, I assume. He then proceeds to cut the front end out and attempt to put a 2wd jeep straight axle front end in it. He never finished it.

So his friend buys it from him and has to make it stable to tow and brings it home then has some personal problems and never gets to start on it.

so it has sat for around 2 to 3 years

Now its my project

First step was to get rid of the cobbled up jeep crap front end.

Next step is to get it mechanically sound so the normal new parts, plugs, etc and get I running and check out the trans

I plan on pulling the rear out, I have a Dana 70 Dually setup to put in it.

It has been body dropped way to far. Looks great outside but has that go cart feel and well I may never be able to bend my knee like that again:(
so I have to raise the cab some.

I have to rebuild the front section on the frame and I am going to go with a model A style suicide front end with a pair of 19 inch model A wire wheels.

We will go from there with more stuff to add later.

any pointers would be great (I am new to the rat rod scene)

sorry for the story I have been cooped up for 4 days.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1487.JPG
    IMG_1487.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1496.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 233
good start

looks solid, l don't think the wire wheels go with the body style, the rear wheels and tires look good, l'd go with them as they fit the theme better.

Later :cool:

Last edited:
any pointers would be great.

I know you are new, so some better terminology is a good start. "Body drop" is a new mini-truck term that doesn't really apply (and sounds kinda silly IMO). The proper way to describe that on a hot rod is channelled.

Other than that good job getting rid of that cobbled up front end. There are some options on what you can do, just depending on your budget and skill set. I wouldn't put a dually rear under it or use wires. Use the rear you have and put some matching narrow steelies up front.

I know you are new, so some better terminology is a good start. "Body drop" is a new mini-truck term that doesn't really apply (and sounds kinda silly IMO). The proper way to describe that on a hot rod is channelled.

From what I have always been taught there are 3 terms

Body Drop--when the floor is left stock and moved up to a higher point on the cab to give that low look sacrificing leg room.

Sectioned--when a section of the cab is cut out to give the lower roof line look and retain a factory floor and leg room

Channeled--when a floor is removed and cab lowered and floor rebuilt around frame and drive line.

As far as the front end thank you that jeep stuff had to go.

What other options would I have to give that look?

Right now I am looking at the drop axle kit from RPM. And 1000 is about all I have to spend for a front end setup and I still have to do steering.

As far as the wheels I got the image in my head and I like it so we will see how it looks when complete. After all it is a rat and that's what I have laying around.

As far as the wheels I got the image in my head and I like it so we will see how it looks when complete. After all it is a rat and that's what I have laying around.

I agree that they won't fit the look of the truck, but if you are going to run them, just make sure they are in good shape..they were never intended to carry a vehicle of this weight..I would check them thoroughly, then often..they are 80 year old wheels

Body Drop--when the floor is left stock and moved up to a higher point on the cab to give that low look sacrificing leg room.

Sectioned--when a section of the cab is cut out to give the lower roof line look and retain a factory floor and leg room

Channeled--when a floor is removed and cab lowered and floor rebuilt around frame and drive line.

You are correct on the definition for section, but when the floor is cut to lower the body - it's a channel. Doesn't matter if the stock floor is used or a new one is fabbed. That's the hot rod term. A while back someone posted a good reference for hot rod lingo. A search would help you out. Leave the "body drop" to guys like the one pictured above...

I like your plans. Is that plywood for the cab floor? Any thoughts on Z'ing the frame?

No plywood for floor going to use the steel floor that is there when I do the body lift or unchannel whichever the term may be.

I don't plan on do a z it sits pretty low in the back and I am custom building the front so hopefully will be at a good ride height.

I eventually may bag the back so that when it's parked I can just set it on the rear section of the frame.

Hoping to get the look in real life that is in my head.

Well almost got it to fire today. I think the coil is bad. Waiting on the new distributor to come in.

Pulled all of the flooring out of the bed. Frame work doesn't look to bad.

Trans is a different story has a small leak and when looking for the leak there seems to be a bunch of JB Weld around where the dipstick tube goes in Not sure why yet.

Well almost got it to fire today. I think the coil is bad. Waiting on the new distributor to come in.

Pulled all of the flooring out of the bed. Frame work doesn't look to bad.

Trans is a different story has a small leak and when looking for the leak there seems to be a bunch of JB Weld around where the dipstick tube goes in Not sure why yet.

Sounds like "Bud" who built the truck was too lazy to run down to NAPA and buy a new dipstick tube seal (yes, there is supposed to be one where it seats into the transmission case),

Sounds good so far, keep up the good work.

Regards,
Shea:)

Sounds like "Bud" who built the truck was too lazy to run down to NAPA and buy a new dipstick tube seal (yes, there is supposed to be one where it seats into the transmission case),

Sounds good so far, keep up the good work.

Regards,
Shea:)

I got a little relief today! I believe your right. Its not jb weld it is just grey silicone. (alot Easier to get off) but I dont see any cracks or anything yet.

Posting a couple engine pics before I start the tear down and dress up

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 123
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 96
I really like the side pipes. I'll do the same on mine except have them turn out just before the rear tire. and don't second guess the dual tires for the rear. i think it's an awesome idea, but I'm biased. the orange engine block clashes with the style of the truck more than the duals would. looking good, keep the updates coming.

I really like the side pipes. I'll do the same on mine except have them turn out just before the rear tire. and don't second guess the dual tires for the rear. i think it's an awesome idea, but I'm biased. the orange engine block clashes with the style of the truck more than the duals would. looking good, keep the updates coming.

LOL. Well then it is really going to clash with orange wheels, dash and firewall along with that engine.

We shall see:D

Well the bed looks pretty sound now that I got the wood out so should be pretty good

Got most of the motor torn apart and wint to start cutting the front Frame rails off when I relized someone lost the spacer for my cutoff wheel now I have to see if you can buy just that part so I called it a night.

Need to put my leg up anyways the wife is telling me i am doing to much and my leg is hurting some

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back