Heavy hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Passed this one a few days ago. It was pulling a huge 5th wheel camper! Don't know anything about it other than it started as a GMC of some vintage, and it sounded sweet! I don't think the stacks were hooked up, you can see a pipe sneaking out in front of the tire.

Attachments

• gmc with 5th wheel.jpg
    gmc with 5th wheel.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 61
Wish I could have got some more pics of it, the others I took were so blurry and didn’t show anything. Hard to take a good cell pic doing 75 in the hammer lane!

I have another for ya, Bama...

This is a local Ford nut, who's usually snowbirding right now. It's two '35 cabs stirr-retched over a Duramax chassis.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cc 763 mo.jpg
    cc 763 mo.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 48
  • cc 764 mo.jpg
    cc 764 mo.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I'm glad you showed us these pictures, Doc. One of my dreams is to put a '36 on a diesel one ton. There are puzzling 'location' problems, like where to put the extra size of the motor, or how to mount the humongous radiator. Now I know what not to do. I'll bet a straight on frontal shot would not be pretty either.

Attachments

• Hieken '36 two ton..jpg
    Hieken '36 two ton..jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2452.jpg
    IMG_2452.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, the nose looks like Jimmy Durante.

"The Great Schnozzola" :D

I'm glad you showed us these pictures, Doc. One of my dreams is to put a '36 on a diesel one ton. There are puzzling 'location' problems, like where to put the extra size of the motor, or how to mount the humongous radiator. Now I know what not to do. I'll bet a straight on frontal shot would not be pretty either.

It's looks like an anteater from the front. I recommend you swap your dream out for a poly powered Plymouth coupe! :p

OI, that idea is the one I think of the most. I wanted the 'cool' look of a '36 on my trailer pulling rig, but the Saskatchewan guy beat the 'cool' out of his and is left with a tiny cab without air-conditioning and mirrors that can see around his trailer. He went to a lot of work to get that, too.
Actually, a friend once asked me, "how many more ten year projects do you have in you," and I had to stop and ponder the length of my future. My answer could be, "I'm going to slow down in my one hundred and thirties, so I better factor that in."
I may never get to my old truck pulling rig, so the Saskachewan guy is a way ahead of me, at least he got his done.

That's a 37-38 GMC, very cool! I'd love a hauler like that.

It deserves to be bigger. :D

attachment.php

Crank, that Ford is exactly the problem with modern frames under 20's-30's stuff, to make it work you need to pull the fenders back and then it just looks goofy. Looks like he widened it to fit the frame too?

Crank, that Ford is exactly the problem with modern frames under 20's-30's stuff, to make it work you need to pull the fenders back and then it just looks goofy. Looks like he widened it to fit the frame too?

Yes, it's been widened considerably. The donor's interior, dash, firewall and floor pan are under all that funky bodywork.

Latest posts

Back