BBC Head Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Guys I am doing a engine swap on a 1933 Chevy. I am swapping in a Big Block Chevy and have run into something I never had to deal with on Small Blocks. In the center of the heads there is a port ( for lack of a better word) that I am guessing is for transferring heat to the intake manifold.

I have three different BBC intakes and none of these cover the top half of this port. The gasket does seem to cover the upper part but is this really good enough?

I am including a picture that shows this port and it is right in the center of the head.

Thanks Roland

Attachments

• Merlin Heads.png
    Merlin Heads.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 13
Crank, Thanks man that answered that question perfectly. The picture you show is just what I have, and your red Crayola area is what I am talking about. The gasket set I have is the same one you linked to and does in fact cover what the Intake Manifold doesn't. Thanks man!

Crank you will also notice my reference to a big block. When in my other thread I said I was going to use a Small Block but in truth really wanted a Big Block for this little Chevy. As luck would have it a fresh 454 just sorta fell into my lap just when I was ready to get started on this engine swap using the Small Block. Thru my schedule off a might and included a 700 mile trip to go and get this Big Block, it is now setting in the shop and is ready to go. Maybe next week I will be able to start on this for sure...

Roland

My pleasure, Hombre. :D

I'm a Chevy guy and have a punched BB destined for my '38 sedan. [ddd I'd love to see your '33 and hope you'll start a build thread with photos... please? ;)

Latest posts

Back