What To Do To Start This Old Motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratcrazy

I am at the point in my build to where I want to see if I can get this old engine fired up.[dr I motor has been setting for several years but turns over great with a wrench. I know I will have to get it primed with oil. Pull the plugs and clean and set them and set the point gap.

Can someone walk me through how to wire it just enough to fire it off. I wanted to see first if it will run and if so does it make banging noises and need overhauling. [S

I have already put a new kit in the carb but not sure about how to just wire it enough to make it fire. What wire goes to what and will I need to buy any parts like ignition solenoid, etc....to do this?

Any help will be great appreciated.[P

Thanks, Larry

Attachments

• Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 107
A hot wire from positive battery post to the positive side of the distributor should get you fired. You'll need a solenoid to turn the starter, just jump it with a screwdriver. Every Ratter should have had at least one car where this method was the only starting option!...LOL...good luck....CR

Thanks CR55, I will let you know how things turn out soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow, got to figure out some sort of fuel line first.

Larry

I ran a long fuel line from my electric pump to a fuel can. Try to put the fuel can outside! (I know I'll start something here!)..[ddev...CR

I dont think that just powering the distributor will get the job done, you are going to have to get the coil in there as well..

RS

You're right about the coil. I just took it for granted that it was already there![S...Hook everything up as you normally would and get your 12 volt power by running the wire as stated earlier......CR:D

OK guys, thanks for all your help on this one but I think I am in over my head trying to wire this. I thought I had a handle on it but it seems I dont.

I know its alot to ask but could one of you do me a drawing of what wire goes to where concerning the solenoid, coil, distributor..etc

Forgive my ignorence.[S

I have looked online for some sort of basic wiring drawing but cant find anything that would show me how to hook this thing up and make it run.

......... I'm confussed as a termite in a YoYo.

Thanks
Larry

I don't have a picture but the wiring to get it running is really pretty easy.

How's about steps.
(1)-- From a key (ON) source run a wire to one side of your ballast resisiter.

BALLASR RESISTER-- White ceramic block with a coil of wire in side it and two terminals one at each end.

(2)-- From the opposite side of the ballast resister run a wire to the (+) side of your coil.

(3)-- From the (-) side of the coil run a wire to the wire on your Distributer.

Now Starter Wiring---
(1) Run a battery cable HOT lead from the battery to the large terminal on the starter solenoid.

(2)-- Run a wire from your ingnition switch terminal that is active when you turn the switch to start, or a starter button if you are using one of those, to the terminal on the starter solenoid marked with a small (S).

Now the wiring is done and you should be able to start it. Now if you are using a POINTS type ingnition you should run a wire from the other small terminal on the starter solenoid marked usually with a (R) but sometimes marked (I) directly to the (+) of the coil, this wire will provide full battery power to the points only while you are cranking the motor, when you release your key or starter button this will deactivate that full battery power function as you only need full power during cranking.

Good Luck
Roland

Thanks guys for the help. [cl

Hombre I made a copy of the instruction and will follow these hooking it up. Thanks again dude.:D

Larry

I need someone to connect the dots so to speak on this wiring.

This is what I have to wire up. I dont know if its possible to do this or if I am missing something in parts or maybe I have too many for what I am trying to do.

I need HELP!!!!!:eek:

Thanks
Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0742.jpg
    DSCF0742.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 44
Crazy, No problem man, hell it's just wiring we CAN do this. Question for you and then we can wire it.

Why two solenoids?

You have one listed as a "Ford Solenoid", and then in your diagram you show another as "Starter Solenoid". Answer that and then we can wire this critter.

Roland

Crazy, No problem man, hell it's just wiring we CAN do this. Question for you and then we can wire it.

Why two solenoids?

You have one listed as a "Ford Solenoid", and then in your diagram you show another as "Starter Solenoid". Answer that and then we can wire this critter.

Roland

Thanks Roland, I was told I needed to have the ignition solenoid so thats why the two. I have no idea what I am doing here so I took the guys word at the auto parts store on the Ford solenoid.

I take it I DONT need the Ford ignition solenoid, only the starter solenoid, correct?[S

Now you have me excited about getting this thing fired up. Man lets do this.[dr

Thanks,
Larry

OK Crazy, Well your answer has me wondering., So another question: Does your starter have a solenoid mounted on top of it? Here's a picture of the typical GM starter solenoid. Is this what is on your starter?

The reason I ask is your parts guy "should" know what he was talking about. But you DO NOT need two solenoids. So why did he say you did? HUMMMM

Let me know about your starter and we will be good to go....

Roland

Attachments

• xxxzzzvz.jpg
    xxxzzzvz.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 10
I went out a snapped a couple of pics so you could see exactly what I have.
The Ford ign. solenoid does not have any lettering on it at all but one of the smaller post is slightly larger than the other.

My starter has (S) and (R) stamped on it on the smaller post.

Larry

Attachments

• DSCF0744.jpg
    DSCF0744.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0745.jpg
    DSCF0745.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Don. I will take the time tomorrow and study this carefully and hope I can understand what it is showing me. Me and diagrams arent the best of friends.:confused: Doesnt take alot to confuse me.....:D

Latest posts

Back