Mini Muscle Car

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's Fall. It's building time. Dragged the Renault frame out its hiding place and put the suspension parts on it. Once I get the frame at ride height, the body will be dropped over it and I can make outriggers to tie it all together.

Rear control arms use the approximately stock Mustang geometry.
I must put a big "thank you" out there to Jim B. who narrowed the 8.8 rear end and GAVE it to me. All I had to do was send the axle shafts to Moser for shortening. All the front suspension components except the narrowed rack & pinion were given to me by my brother who got out of the hobby all together.

I like it Bob!

The frame does look like the dimensional equivalent to my riding mower though...Heck of a lot cooler [P

Bob, just found this cool project. I'm in!

The F2stang started as a Fox body. My Fox had urethane bushings in the rear control arms - they were deadly. On a hard corner under power, the inside wheel would lift. A 90 degree turn would instantly become a 180. It seems Ford used the rubber bushings for articulation.

I noticed you used the heim joints on the uppers, which is a fix. I would still stick with the rubber bushings if possible. Ford also had an extra set of horizontal shock absorbers in an attempt to control wheel hop.

That short wheel base should be a lot of fun.

I fired up the air chisel finished removing the floor, all the way back to the rear firewall. Might try a trial fit to the frame tomorrow.
DJ3100, I left the stock upper bushings on the rear end. I've had the same harrowing experience with my Fiat. I put a very much oversize rear anti-sway bar on it and picked up the left rear wheel on a hard left.

A talented fabricator in Ohio built a sbc powered Renault and took lots of pictures. They will provide an excellent guide for this build. unfortunately shortly after it was on the road it was t-boned and totaled.
Thanks for following along and for the positive comments.

That's good news Flipper. Is the original builder fixing it?
Put an empty block and a 700r4 in the frame. Managed to get the body on by raising it with a chain hoist and a hydraulic lift table. I'm gonna need a 2" back space wheel in the rear or else I'll have to tub it.

The rest of the engine resides here, where the people are supposed to be. The back seat won't be much good. This was a big step today and definitely a motivating day. Should get the body locked down to the frame tomorrow.

Looks to me like it's the front seat that won't be much good. Good thing it's a 4 door - you can get in the rear doors and use the front doors to work on the engine.

Nice project.

Latest posts

Back