1933 Chevrolet Engine Swap

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Just got this little 33 Chevy. Couple of folks have asked me to do a build thread on the engine swap.

Got this little sedan two weeks ago and it came with a Chevy 6 and a power glide tranny. Well that 6 turned out to be a 194" and to say that it was anemic would just not be a strong enough word, it is weak. Myself personally and over the years have grown very tired of seeing Small Blocks in everything. Great little engine that's for sure but it has just been done to death at least for me.

I really wanted to do this car with a Big Block, trouble was I didn't have a Big Block. I did have a very nice 350 that was just setting in the shop just built for my 1947 Ford Coupe. Well on that Coupe once again I just could not bring myself to use that 350 in that car, so I went with a 401 Buick Nailhead. This left the 350 just setting on a engine stand gathering dust. In truth the 350 probably would have been the right choice for this 33, but I "wanted" a Big Block. As luck would have it just as I was ready to start with the 350 I stumbled on a great deal on a 454 just built and the guy didn't spare any money on it. Forged crank and pistons brand new set of Merlin Iron heads. I bought this motor and had to drive 700 miles to get it. so now the swap is going to be the 454 BBC into this little 33 Chevrolet.

Just got done with the measurements and it looks like it will go OK with a little tweaking here and there. For anyone interested I will try and keep this thread going until it's done.

Here are a few pictures of the beginning.

Attachments

• ffg 036 (Small).JPG
    ffg 036 (Small).JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ffg 035 (Small).JPG
    ffg 035 (Small).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 21
  • ffg 029 (Small).JPG
    ffg 029 (Small).JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 25
  • ffg 027 (Small).JPG
    ffg 027 (Small).JPG