My 40 Dodge Truck Build - Maybe a 41 LOL

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its good to see you back at it again.

I've just been taking care of odds and ends on my truck, and driving it. Nearly 10,000 miles on it since it got plated in June 21.

I put my coupe up for sale earlier this year, not much action on it. Things in this area are still pretty slow.

Its good to see you back at it again.

I've just been taking care of odds and ends on my truck, and driving it. Nearly 10,000 miles on it since it got plated in June 21.

I put my coupe up for sale earlier this year, not much action on it. Things in this area are still pretty slow.

Hey Gene.... I'm having trouble sticking with it. Been messing with the Dakota.

I just picked up 2 used engine stands to use to make a rotiserie to paint the frame.... I think once I get the frame apart and painted I'll be good to go. Nice run on the truck at 10k.

Good luck selling the coupe. Stay well pal

Got the final coat of primer laid down yesterday.

So much to do yet....

Templates for the door glass
Find a vendor for bonding in the windshield....loose fit it before paint
Remount the cab and locate the brake pedal hole in the floor / finish the linkage
Convert the two engine stands into a a rotiserie for painting the frame
strip the frame
build a battery box
paint the frame
reassemble it
probaly should crank the motor over and run it
torque converter
carbs
starter
harness

Geeze Louise....

Picture of the bed and someone elses windshield job I'd like to duplicate

Attachments

• DSCF6229.jpg
    DSCF6229.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6230.jpg
    DSCF6230.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 358130790_666168025543177_1477209664205470971_n.jpg
    358130790_666168025543177_1477209664205470971_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 18
Bed looks awesome! I've always glued in my own windows, I get the adhesive from my glass guy, mask off the paint work 'cause that butyl goo sticks to everything. The black border on the image you posted helps hide inconsistencies in the adhesive, like new car windshields - is it just paint??

Got the final coat of primer laid down yesterday.

So much to do yet....

Templates for the door glass
Find a vendor for bonding in the windshield....loose fit it before paint
Remount the cab and locate the brake pedal hole in the floor / finish the linkage
Convert the two engine stands into a a rotiserie for painting the frame
strip the frame
build a battery box
paint the frame
reassemble it
probaly should crank the motor over and run it
torque converter
carbs
starter
harness

Geeze Louise....

Picture of the bed and someone elses windshield job I'd like to duplicate

Whatcha gonna do the rest of the afternoon?[ddd:D

Bed looks awesome! I've always glued in my own windows, I get the adhesive from my glass guy, mask off the paint work 'cause that butyl goo sticks to everything. The black border on the image you posted helps hide inconsistencies in the adhesive, like new car windshields - is it just paint??

Thanks ZZ....I just talked with a gent from Bob's in Oregon. He told me to make templates out of luan, then with a single fine line make a trace on masking paper. He said the paint is special with a special primer... I can silicone the center butt or I can use a rubber mould from Steele Rubber. I could easly clean up the outside angle with a razor but the inside may make a mess......so maybe the rubber. I gota think on it. I need to fit all the glass, doors and all
before paint.

Small....you stinker you! I'm jumping in the pool!

Rubber Strip

Just ordered on of these... I might make a mess out of the silicone center strip.

Hummmm won't paste

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-10 185242.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-10 185242.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 10
Keep us posted on that rubber strip! I'm interested in how it seals when that small angle of the two piece glass is added into fitment with a flat rubber. I've hoarded all the safety glass out of the motorhome for replacing the glass on my 46 and that rubber would make it easier I'm thinking.

Keep us posted on that rubber strip! I'm interested in how it seals when that small angle of the two piece glass is added into fitment with a flat rubber. I've hoarded all the safety glass out of the motorhome for replacing the glass on my 46 and that rubber would make it easier I'm thinking.

Will do Small.... I am liking that windshield I posted a couple back, with silicone, it looks really custom and clean. We'll see side glass templates first.

Made my first side door template out of some 1/4" massonite today.

How have you guys affixed the door u channel?

I can't put it in permanantly now before paint.... was thinking about some very small ss sheet metal screws in the tabs between the door halves?

I have to get everything fit, figure out how everything goes in, comes out while in primer or I'm gona scratch some paint.

You can use very small screws to hold the U channel in place in the doors, but you have to be sure the screw head is completely below the height of the fuzees or it can cause the glass to crack if the glass contacts the screw heads. Dodge dis use small screws on some trucks, but I don't remember if the 39-47 was one with the screws or not.

I've had pretty good luck using the 3 M weather stripping glue, but its pretty permeant.

Mine were home made. Used 3/4" square tube with one side cut off. Welded in place. Got 1/2" felt rolls at ACE hardware and glued that in to protect glass. Paint? Naw, no paint.

I usually glue the felt channel in with PL construction adhesive. Depending on your window and door shape, I put a bead around the whole upper door frame, drop the glass in , then install the felt channel ( pre-formed to the door shape - that adhesive is super sticky and a nightmare to get off of places you don't want it..), roll the window up to keep it in place and let it set. The last ones I've done have been using a single piece of felt channel, so it takes a bit of finageling to drop it into the door without messing up the glue... Of course this is a permanent install.... I don't glue the upright parts that go down into the door, I weld a little tab at the bottom of the metal channel to hold the end of the felt channel in place.

I bought my Lincoln glass from Bob’s. I’ve only used the windshield so far, it fit perfectly. I’m going to wait until I do the paint to put in the side glasses, got to replace the rubber anyway as well as new fuzzies and channel felt.

You can use very small screws to hold the U channel in place in the doors, but you have to be sure the screw head is completely below the height of the fuzees or it can cause the glass to crack if the glass contacts the screw heads. Dodge dis use small screws on some trucks, but I don't remember if the 39-47 was one with the screws or not.

I've had pretty good luck using the 3 M weather stripping glue, but its pretty permeant.

Hey Gene, I think I will do that. I'll glue it in and then remove the screws after it's set and dry. BTW, I talked to Charlie / Old Stuff...he's doing well and involved in building a new home. He says hello.

Latest posts

Back