Sheets & Giggles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I know you're not shooting for 7.50's and I am aware of the cert. breakdown. I have seen some Fuel Altereds in the 8's when things don't go right. I've been watching some of the videos from the 2014 Meltdown and there were some quick Altereds there. You should find some good competition to match up with. It would be cool if there was a touring Altered group like the Gasser groups.

The Bantam will need a full cage to run in the 10's. If I sell my dragster or Crosley then I will have the Bantam ready for the 2016 Meltdown.

Had a really productive day today. The car is caged!!! [cl:D[cl I did not expect to get this done this week.

Very pleased with how the roll cage turned out. I wanted something "old school" and I think I achieved it.

Also got the last diagonals fitted. Still have to fab up the firewall hoop and the "halo" bars for the roll cage and the basic chassis is done. Still have brackets and tabs to add to it of course but I'm feeling like a major milestone is passed.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 84
You did a fine job on the cage. I like the single curve at the top and the narrowness in the helmet area. Not only looks terrific but should prevent a lot of neck stretching if you should ever bang a guard rail. This is a concern i have with my cage as it is pretty wide at the top and I don't have a muscle left in my tired old body.

With the body on it has the perfect early Altered vibe. Not like the long wheelbase, funny car chassis modern ones.

A little over 4 months to go...

If it was mine, the driveshaft safety hoop would be a tube that surrounds the driveshaft from beginning to end. ...and the seat bottom would be made from 1/4 inch plate!

Thanks for all the supportive comments. They mean a lot to me.

With the body on it has the perfect early Altered vibe. Not like the long wheelbase, funny car chassis modern ones.

A little over 4 months to go...

Thanks Bob. That is the look I am trying for. 4 months will go by pretty quickly - especially since I will be away for 6 weeks in April and May for a some more technical training. Of course, the training will come with a raise in pay and a bonus that will help pay for the parts to finish the little beastie.

If it was mine, the driveshaft safety hoop would be a tube that surrounds the driveshaft from beginning to end.

Don't worry Flipper - the tube is actually required by the rules. Minimum 1/8" steel. The hoops that are installed now will support the tube and offer some additional protection. At my age I might not get to use 'em much any more but I sure do want to keep 'em. :D

Got a little more done. The firewall hoop is bent and fitted and the midplate has been cut to fit. Finally got the pieces to put the rear brakes together and amazingly they actually fit. Aerospace calipers and rotors, Wilwood brackets, 1/4" spacer and some washers and now everything lines up as it should. Also did a little more fitting of the body in the firewall area.

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 71
A two person version of this would be cool too!

That might be my next project Flipper. Already have the engine, trans and basic frame for it.

Today I had a minor redo of the firewall hoop because I didn't like the way the mid-plate came up to it. Much better now, and the body fits better to.

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 40
After I got the mid-plate and firewall the way I wanted I made some brackets and mounted the steering damper - hopefully this will avoid the death wobble I've heard so much about.

Once that was done I decided I wanted an extra brace for the forward roll cage bar. It isn't required but should make it a little stronger in the event of the unmentionable.

And then it was on to fabricating and fitting the "halo" bar. The frame is now ready for final welding and some mounting brackets. [cl Hooray!!

Attachments

• IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0297.jpg
    IMG_0297.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 80
The profile view is soooo nice. I like the way the gas tank guard is integrated into the frame. On a tall cage the extra bracing is a really good idea.

I watched video streaming of the Bakersfield March Meet all weekend. Lots of Altereds. Most of them late model style but quite a few old school ones too. 22 AA/FA nitro Altereds there. Wow!

you may want to add another "halo" below the helmet halo that is there now.

that's a pretty good sized hole, most tech inspectors will see that as a place to hang out of in a dire situation..

you may want to add another "halo" below the helmet halo that is there now.

that's a pretty good sized hole, most tech inspectors will see that as a place to hang out of in a dire situation..

Certainly worth considering. The tonneau cover / windshield I have planned will go a long way to closing the opening you are referring to but I may need an additional bar to support the bodywork. The current helmet bar is just below my eye level. I'm guessing that you are advocating an additional bar at around the shoulder level?

Certainly worth considering. The tonneau cover / windshield I have planned will go a long way to closing the opening you are referring to but I may need an additional bar to support the bodywork. The current helmet bar is just below my eye level. I'm guessing that you are advocating an additional bar at around the shoulder level?

a little lower than that, like about half way between shoulder top and elbow, with your arm at your side.

otherwise everything looks great.

Latest posts

Back