Willys long cab

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the well wishes and not telling me what a dumb a$$ move that was. Even my bride didn't give me a rash over over it.

My R&R lasted till 9:30 this morning. My hand is a little sore and swollen but I can't stand not doing any thing all day so I put on my black rubber glove and finished drilling my holes without any further damage.
Got the transmission mount in place and one of the engine mounts made. I'll finish the other side tomorrow.

I ordered a reclocking ring for the transfer case and if my measurements are right I think I can clear the torsion bar cross member by reclocking it up 10 to 20 degrees.
If that's not enough I will drop the the cross member down to make up the rest.

Thanks for the interest.

Attachments

• IMG-3945.jpg
    IMG-3945.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 31
Progress.......

I got the Engine/transmission location nailed down and mounts made. The Torsion bar dilemma is on hold till I get the reclocking ring.
Now to set the cab on to see what needs to be moved or eliminated. I'm thinking I need to just cut the mangled firewill out and clean that mess up with a flatter and smoother look.

Attachments

• IMG-3950.jpg
    IMG-3950.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-3952.jpg
    IMG-3952.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-3956.jpg
    IMG-3956.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-3957.jpg
    IMG-3957.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-3959.jpg
    IMG-3959.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-2762-3.jpg
    IMG-2762-3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-3958.jpg
    IMG-3958.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
Wow!!
That front bumper.😎😎😎😎
Sometimes it’s just easier to make a new one then to fix the old one.
Way too many holes in that old fire wall.🙀
Torchie

Yep, the firewall goes.[cl

No more blood letting on this project please.

I'm sure you will clean it up real nice.

Yep some things are just not worth messing with and that fire wall is one of them.

The belt tensioner on my Cummins/Dodge 3/4 ton came apart running down the road coming back from Texas last week and wiped out the Serpentine pulleys and the radiator. So I had to work on that yesterday and will finish it up tomorrow. $1200 later just for parts!! I've never experienced such carnage.
Makes me wonder if my hearing is worse than I thought. Surely it had to be making some kind of noise prior to dynamiting.

The stitches in my hand are angry and my hand is swollen today so no progress.

Attachments

• IMG-3960.jpg
    IMG-3960.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Progress.......

It fits-kinda.
After trimming for clearance on the passenger side and cutting the butchered firewall out of the way I got the cab set back on the frame.

It's interesting that the engine is off set to the passenger side as much as it is [nearly 3"] on the Dakota donor frame. That helps a lot when it comes to the brake booster/master cylinder install.

Got started on the new firewall. I need to build in a little clearance for the distributor and then on to the transmission tunnel and floors. I plan on moving the taper of the lower part of the firewall forward some to try to gain a little leg room.

I wish I could figure out how to leave the firewall uncluttered. It seems like by the time you get everything you need to make a vehicle run down the road and stop the firewall is covered up.

Attachments

• IMG-3973.jpg
    IMG-3973.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-3969.jpg
    IMG-3969.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-3978.jpg
    IMG-3978.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-3980.jpg
    IMG-3980.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-3981.jpg
    IMG-3981.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-3972.jpg
    IMG-3972.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Wow, I didn't know the engine and tranny was set so far to the passenger side like that.
Firewall looks good.
[P[P[P

Fire wall is looking Good, POPS.[cl :D:cool:
Engine compartment clutter seems to be the way now.:eek:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Thanks. I'm really going to try to keep the clutter to a minimum.
We'll see how that works out for me.

Tremendous improvement.[cl[cl[P
Thanks Kenny.
The original was pretty butchered up and I wasn't interested in patching all that nonsense.

Latest posts

Back