Injection question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce R

My old 88 s-10 had a throttle body injection and hei with the separate coil. Would it be possible to cobble this onto an old Buick v-6 ? What all would I need to strip off the s-10 ?

The distributor controls the injectors along with the computer. You would probaby need to find a Buick v6 that has fi to rob the parts off of.

I'd keep it simple, hei and carb.

My old 88 s-10 had a throttle body injection and hei with the separate coil. Would it be possible to cobble this onto an old Buick v-6 ? What all would I need to strip off the s-10 ?

Two entirely different engines. '88 S10 had a 2.8 60° V6. Buick V6 is a 90° design. Nothing interchanges as far as I know...

Didn’t some later big Buick’s use the V6 in a fwd configuration, and called it a 3800? Or is that a totally different engine?
If it’s the same block as the older ones, you could probably swap all the stuff off of a 3800 with the computer and wiring out of the car.

I had a few of the old style even fire engines, tough as nails. I put one with a Saginaw 4 speed in a Toyota pickup. With the factory 4.11 gears, it would pull like a v8! Oh, it had Hei from the factory, but had a two barrel carb.

Bama, he's talking V6 Chevy components to V6 Buick. Nothing from the 60° 2.8 V6 or the later 90° 4.3 V6 interchanges with the 90° Buick to my understanding.

There were some RWD Buicks that used the 60° bellhousing pattern... so you could, theoretically, put a 3.8 Buick were a 2.8 Chevy once resided.

That's what I think I know. No wagers, no guarantees...

Thanks Doc, I didn't know they were different. They must be wider from vale cover to valve cover then?

There were several iterations, derivatives, displacements and deck heights in the V6 Buick's 47 year history. I count 13 versions, so visually and dimensionally, all over the map.

Bama, I misread your last post. Sorry, you're right... you'd need the FI and ignition from the same series Buick, or possibly aftermarket...

Latest posts

Back