A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rim looks good!

I wouldn’t have thought you could put 27 gallons in one of those tires, I guess looks are deceiving. I figured 10 gallons max....

Bama, the inside of these tires is very similar to the size of a five gallon pail and I think five pails would fit in there easily.
28, you may be right about finding wheel weights that I can bolt on to a Massey-Harris. Those that I looked at were for a Minneapolis-Moline and won't fit, the bolt holes are too far apart. But, I have a set, I think, that have slotted holes so they might work.

I have been fiddling with this wheel for a while now, trying to get it so it will not break open and it'll look good too. Now I'm happy and it has its first coat of yellow on. I have been grinding down the welding on the other wheel, and there are a couple of patches to make and install yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 17
Thank you guys.
Whoever said that buying new wheels would be faster, cheaper, and easier, was really right. If I could have found some wheels that hooked onto my M-H hubs properly, I should have grabbed them. Too late smart, me.

I kept telling you guys that I was doing the easy wheel first to learn a few tricks, well, that leaves the yuccy one to the last. Today I worked on the bad one. The first picture is what I thought was the left over junk to be chucked away. The second picture is the widening all welded up and ground down. The third pic is the first patch welded in and the grey patches at the bottom on the other side are heated and hammered flat patches for the valve stem hole and the stoppers on either side of the valve stem so the wheel won't turn and cut it off. I will have to rob some of the metal off the junk pieces because the dimple on the old narrow rim is not in the same place as the first rim. The wedge bolts jam against the dimple to hold the rim on the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_2775.jpg
    IMG_2775.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2777.jpg
    IMG_2777.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 13
Last night after I came in from the shop, with some of my optimism worn out, I got thinking that not only would I have to move the one side of the dimple, but maybe both sides. You see, the narrow wheels were narrower in two different places and I thought it was only one place, so I widened the rim one inch in one place. I should have widened it only half an inch in two different places. So, I've done a ton of work to not even get a set of rims.

Ha MM we have all been there :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Take a couple days off, have lunch with your other tractor friends and then back at it. [;)[;)

Kenny, I have friend that has a BUNCH of Massey-Harris', so Plan G was [phone him and see if he would sell just a wheel].
28, I had lunch with a couple of the wife's quilting buddies when they took a break. Does that count?
Anyhow, Plan D was to weld a cheater ring two-thirds of the way around the inside of the rim to match the dimple of the patches. But just to be safe I thought I'd mount the finished, painted rim on the castiron hub and see how it fit. Then I tried the second rim, ------ and I'm a way smarter now. The dimple has to be even and straight for 98% of the ID of the rim, to fit against the hub and for the special wedgehead bolts to work.
Plan E was [cut the remaining two-thirds dimple out of there and weld in a new dimple that is moved over about half an inch]. That would take 'determination' to a new level of insanity.
Plan F became [maybe I should just move the dimple in the patch and line it up with the wrong place dimple and let the wheel be half an inch out further than the other one].
Plan F is what I took. In the first picture you'll see that I drew an orange line in the bottom of the dimple to show you that I left about four inches of the old dimple where it was but cut the rest of the dimple out on either side of the valve stem hole and turned it end for end and welded it back in, making the dimple line up with the rest of the rim.

Attachments

• IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 12
MM Your level of determination is way above mine [cl[cl[cl

I would have been at level "10" on the insanity scale by now :eek:

Keep at it, looks real fine. [;)[;)

Well, 28, I took your advice and didn't work on that rim today. I mowed grass and finally got a big seal out from behind the brake drum. The first picture is the bare drum after the rest of the brakes were removed. That drum was stubborn. But with lots of pressure, quite a bit of heat, and some cursing, it slowly came off. The second picture is the seal removed and a couple of paper towels wound up and stuffed in the opening. The third picture is just showing off. It's the Massey-Harris logo stamped in the axle housing along with the founding country.

Attachments

• IMG_2780.jpg
    IMG_2780.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back