A Massey-Harris 33.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working away on a bracket for the air-cleaner. It's coming along, though slowly. There is just enough room between the gas tank and the engine for the cleaner, and the intake has to be relatively centered in the hole in the hood. The outlet has to stay inside the hood side but miss the exhaust manifold and the steering shaft, and still sort of line up with the carb intake. Also, the oil cap on the bottom of the air-cleaner has to have a little extra room for it's occasional removal. All of these problems have to be solved while working under the hood with a trouble light in there.
You guys all promised me 'it would be fun to build a hotrod'.

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 12
Ya Guys, I get quite a bit of happiness out of solving mechanical problems, but sometimes when the problem is still winning I get worn down.
Anyhow, I got some more little things done. I took the bracket out of there quite a few times and bent it a wee bit this way and that way and tried it again, trying to get the air-cleaner intake to point up through the hole in the hood, centered, and then have the intake stack stand straight up on top of the hood. Got it.
I mounted the voltage regulator onto the back of the bracket, and found a piece of mandrel bent tubing to go from the outlet of the air-cleaner to the carburetor.

Attachments

• IMG_3000.jpg
    IMG_3000.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2999.jpg
    IMG_2999.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 16
During a 'town-day', I scoured the back room of our Napa store in the rad hose section and finally bought a 2" hose that had a few weird bends in it. I needed a bunch of weird shaped connectors for my air-cleaner to carb pipe. The hose worked out better than I thought it would. After I cut the hose into four pieces, I smeared the insides with fast orange and wiggled them on the pipes. I threw the fourth piece away, cut the expansion spring to about four inches and screwed into the 'z' shaped upper hose, so it won't collapse. pic one.
The hold down bracket for the air-cleaner got more complicated. It now holds the voltage regulator and props up the back end of the hydraulic tank. Here it is in primer [upside down]. pic two.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3004.jpg
    IMG_3004.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 12
That's what I do when I go to the parts house for hoses.
Just because the first and last bends in a hose won't work doesn't mean the other two or three bends won't.

A wide swath hasn't been cut lately, on this tractor.
I spent some more time in NAPA getting into the rad hose room. I asked this full-grown man, a trained partsman, if I could go into the back room with the hoses for my upper rad hose. He asked what the year, make, model and engine size was. I watched his face drain away even behind his mask, when I listed off 1954 Massey-Harris Wheatland with a Chrysler flathead shoehorned in there. He said "we don't have a hose for you, sir." I said, "I didn't ask you for the hose to fit that tractor, I asked you if I could go into your back room and look through your hoses." "Oh, no, not by yourself" he said. "You won't have any better luck than I would." This guy will never make a hotrodder. We finally went back there and I found a likely hose quickly, brought it home, cut it off, and installed it. [pic one]
Now that the rear hydraulic tank bracket is bolted on there for the last time I reinstalled the voltage regulator. [pic two].

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 14
MM- That works. Ya parts guys today are lost if it's not on their computer screen. 95% have never built a motor themself.:rolleyes:

I'm surprised he was that reluctant to let you go look.
When I go into the local O'reilly's, they are more than happy to let me go through their stuff so they don't have to mess with me :D

OI, it was just this partsman that was reluctant. I think his social skills are lower than some. The rest of the people seem to be OK with me. Some of them even realize that I'm looking for something that is just close enough to work, if I cut a chunk off of it or weld something on.

Latest posts

Back