Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I tried jumping the solenoid, nothing but a click when it engaged. This was an mid 80's starter off a T bird IIRC, looked like a factory unit. I tapped it with a hammer and it worked once, but not after that. New one came in this afternoon, now just have to find time to put it on.

First drive impressions!

Today started out as a disaster. Was planning on bush hogging my property today, made about 1/2 a round and the fan threw a blade, bent another blade which not only destroyed the radiator on the 8N Ford, it also broke the water pump housing.:mad: Then went to crank my IH 300 Utility tractor to put the bush hog on it, and the starter burned up.:mad: So no bush hogging today what to do then? Work on my Lincoln!

Finally put the new starter on. Man, this thing starts just by turning the key. I bet it doesn't go half a round and it's running! Everything is done underneath for now, so I took it down off it's perch it's been on for five years now. Had to wash off five years of tree sap, dust, dirt and grime it had collected. Still not show clean, but presentable. After supper, I took her out on the road!

Boy, I've really missed driving this old girl. She really rides smooth. I immediately noticed I now have a wider turning radius with the Saginaw power steering box, but it's fingertip easy to steer now. I think this must be a quick ratio box, it steers quick, but it takes more space to turn. Maybe I need a different length pittman arm? The steering has just a bit of play, I'm thinking one of those steering stabilizers might just firm it up enough to eliminate that.

The new trans shifted smooth, and firm. When I turned around to come back home, just barley mashing it it caught second gear rubber! Amazing for a nearly 4000 lb car with 255/60/15" tires! I only got it up to 55 MPH, tach read around 2000 rpm. My speedometer was very close to the gps speedo app on my phone, I might fine tune it with another gear, then again it might just be close enough.

The engine ran OK, I need to get a new set of plugs and wires though. The cobbled up set I have now have got to go. It held about 40 psi oil pressure at 175-180*, and 20+ psi at idle, so it's good.

But I have a vibration. I think my cobbled up driveshaft is just too far out of balance. At 55 mph, it had a pretty good buzz going on you could feel pretty strong. I see Speedway is selling custom cut to fit shafts now with one end welded on, I'm thinking I need to measure mine and see about getting one before I do much driving, don't want to beat the bushing out of the transmission.

All in all, I'm tickled! I knew there would be some do over stuff, but it seems like most of it will be small stuff. After I get my truck AC fixed, the $500 worth of stuff to fix the 8N, and the nearly $300 starter for the IH 300, I'm going to start with a new driveshaft, then new tires and wheels. Stay tuned, I'll get some pics up in a few days!

I'm slacking on the pics, Mac. :eek:

Got the hood on today. Wired up the column ignition switch, so now I only have to have one key to drive it. Had the ignition on a universal underdash switch, but had to use the column switch also to unlock the gear shift and wheel. Pulled it out in the yard to install the hood so we didn't have to tote it as far, when I went to put the car back under the carport, the drivers side exhaust hung on the concrete driveway.....ooops!:eek: Guess I will be cutting it off and running it above the wishbone after all.

Was going to try and hook up the turn signal switch, but my harness plug won't fit the column plug. I have the proper plug to change it out, but had to order a pin tool to get the wires out of the old plug on the column. Still a bunch of piddling to do before I drive it much. New driveshaft, wheels and tires are on the list, but going to have to wait a bit on those. Need to pick up a gallon of clear and some thinner so I can repaint the grills silver, too.

It's getting there, slowly....

Got it outside for a few shots. Repainted the horns and got them put back on. Started cleaning the interior, man, can't believe how nasty it got just from sitting under the carport.

Attachments

• REPAINTED HORNS.jpg
    REPAINTED HORNS.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 30
  • side engine shot.jpg
    side engine shot.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 29
  • front engine shot.jpg
    front engine shot.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 28
  • semi clean interior.jpg
    semi clean interior.jpg