Scratch Building a Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still splicing wires. I wired my Head lamp dimmer switch with wires its ready to mount when I decide where its going. I wired the flasher with long wires ready to install also when I find where it will go. I am doing all the free stuff that cost me nothing except time. I am using all the wires taken from the Merkur, it seems I will have enough wire for everything. I had time to devise and make 2 firewall grommets for wires. I machined them from 3/4 inch diameter Delrin material.I used silicone to stick them to the holes and fire wall. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole through the center to accept wires. I have no photos as work done wont mean anything to the viewer yet.

I was able to buy a light switch made in China real cheap But enough to get me started i can replace it with a good one from the local junk yard down the road. I wired the wires to the switch and tested all of them with a light at the end of the wires. They all worked okay. Wired a little in the fuse box with want circuits i have wired. I made a few more fire wall grommets to pass wires through. Got a bunch of photos try to place them in your mind. I filed a rectangle hole to accept the dash light dimmer and that was mounted as well as the headlamp switch i am tired.

Attachments

• HPIM6001.jpg
    HPIM6001.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM6002.jpg
    HPIM6002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM6003.jpg
    HPIM6003.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM6004.jpg
    HPIM6004.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
  • HPIM6005.jpg
    HPIM6005.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM5999.jpg
    HPIM5999.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16
A few straggler photos

Attachments

• HPIM6011.jpg
    HPIM6011.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM6012.jpg
    HPIM6012.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM6013.jpg
    HPIM6013.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 11
More wiring stuff, I fabricated a holder for my head light dimmer switch. I made it at a 45 degree angle so I can get it easily with my foot. Plus I went and bought a cheap ignition switch so I can get everything wired. I can change it down the road from the local scrap yard. Now I can wire most everything and test the leads as I go.

Still wiring. got some photos, i made a heavy duty grommet to hold many wires i threaded a nut on the back side to hold it snug. Took an hour or so to machine this out. But it will hold all my front light wires etc.

Attachments

• HPIM6019.jpg
    HPIM6019.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM6020.jpg
    HPIM6020.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 12
  • HPIM6021.jpg
    HPIM6021.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 14
  • HPIM6022.jpg
    HPIM6022.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 13
  • HPIM6023.jpg
    HPIM6023.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
I wired the wipers and the horn to a relay. Not much to see here yet all hidden stuff, but progress all the same. I blew a fuse playing around glad to see the fuse panel is doing what it is supposed to do. I have been looking at the head lights and park lights from the front of the Merkur. I may use them if I can figure out a way to attach them with some sheet metal and form fit them with Body filler. Ill play around with this and see.

Well it has been 16 days since I posted anything on the Coupe. I had strep throat and getting over it now. I'm not perfect yet but a lot better. I have cash slowing down every winter. I bought 3 tail lights from Napa that were reasonable and had dual filament bulbs. This way I get tail lights and brake lights. I found that my wife has a lot of old bread pans just the right size for me to French in the tail lenses. This gives me a form to follow with body filler. I also talked with my brother on some head lights with parking lights included/ He has a body shop and lots of goodies. I decided I will go with the snow plow type head lights they have high and low beam and attach with one bolt. This will make a neater arrangement than all the welding of sheet metal for the Merkur headlights. Plus I bought enough 3/4 inch electrical conduit ($4.78) to frame the edges of my running boards and the rear trunk valance. I spent some time slotting the tubing with a tool i showed earlier in my build. I used a skill saw and a metal blade to slot the tubing, Then I fit it to the edges and tack welded with the Mig. This made them super strong and nice round ending for the sharp sheet metal edges I had exposed. Some body filler to contour these will be okay. Thats where I am now Ill get the head lights tomorrow. I have things to work on now for a while. I have a few photos of what I have done and what I plan down the road.

Attachments

• HPIM6067.jpg
    HPIM6067.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM6066.jpg
    HPIM6066.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 31
  • HPIM6064.jpg
    HPIM6064.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 27
  • HPIM6063.jpg
    HPIM6063.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM6062.jpg
    HPIM6062.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 32
I was wondering what the heck you were up too!!

Glad to hear you're up and at em...... bread pans for frenching buckets...who would have thought!!?? Never cease to amaze me....lights look good...[cl

Bread pans are free and my Honey dont bake as many as she used to. So I will use 3 of them for the 2 brake/tail and the 3rd brake lite. Ill try to figure out some kind of amber lights when i better off cash wise.. Our local gas station will be out of use for 10 days for Tank repairs etc. I just filled up both cars $90.00. Just in case. It will be a long winter ill pike along and see what happens. Plenty of time to think and plan devices etc.

I went and picked up my 25 dollar set of head lights today. I have some photos. They look like likely candidates for my fenders. I dont like the parking or signals spaced out like they are. I think i may play around with a piece of sheet metal to cover the space and paint it. It may look better them. I will see.

Attachments

• HPIM6078.jpg
    HPIM6078.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 19
  • HPIM6076.jpg
    HPIM6076.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM6079.jpg
    HPIM6079.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 18
  • HPIM6080.jpg
    HPIM6080.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 18
I fooled around today trying to figure the placement of the bread pans and tail lights. Plus I located the number plate box I will french in at a latter date. I have one the left rear screwed on with the light inserted. Its a done deal this is where they will go. I have a few snaps will do more as I feel stronger..

Attachments

• HPIM6081.jpg
    HPIM6081.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
  • HPIM6082.jpg
    HPIM6082.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM6085.jpg
    HPIM6085.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • HPIM6083.jpg
    HPIM6083.jpg