Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tractors

Tractors Yes, we love old tractors too... let's see 'um!

Old 04-18-2020, 09:08 PM
Builder Junky!

Dutch, last year a neighbour came and asked me if I wanted his 'County' tractor and blade, as he was selling the farm and moving to town. He is partly paralyzed, and a mechanical genius.
I said I had too many projects now so he took it to the dump.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:04 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I would have picked it up....

well I dont have work for a tractor like that ,but I dont care and it would be a nice grocery getter...
Old 04-19-2020, 11:02 PM
Builder Junky!

Today I scrounged around and made a list of things I'll need for the Ferguson. No matter how you try to get things lined up though, you probably will miss some stuff. Oh ya, and I put the robbed oil pan back on the other tractor.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:44 PM
Builder Junky!

Sorry guys, I didn't realize that I had separate threads going here and I dragged the Ferguson over into the other hobby one.
Today, I finished robbing parts off the parts tractor and loaded it to take over to it's new owner. There's still another half of a tractor to load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2467.jpg (141.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-13-2020, 01:37 PM
Builder Junky!

The other day I delivered the parts tractors to the new owner. He was happy with the deal, and so was his wife, [always a good thing].
I've been taking little things off the keeper tractor so the sandblaster won't fill the wrong things with sand.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:01 PM
Builder Junky!

The radiator has had a ride to town, a gungking, an acid bath, and a pressure test. I brought it home yesterday.
Then I took the top off of the transmission, because the safety start wouldn't allow the operator to start the tractor. Harry Ferguson invented a cool safety start. He made the gearshift move the starter solenoid. That means you have to take the gearshift out of whatever gear it's in, to push it up into the start slot. There is a little rod running from the front end of the 'reverse' rail up to the solenoid lever [pic one] inside the bellhousing.
In picture two you'll see a horseshoe looking guide bolted on around the bottom of the gearshift. Well that was bent so that it blocked the movement of the shiftrail. I rebent the guide to the outside of the shiftrail, and put it back together. It seemed to work alright, but I had misgivings, so I took it apart again and rebent the guide so it would fit in between the third / fourth shift block and the reverse / start block. That made the horseshoe guide look right but the shift blocks on the rails wouldn't split apart to accept this guide, so I threw it away and put the whole thing back together again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2469.jpg (166.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2470.jpg (161.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-21-2020, 11:03 PM
Builder Junky!

I started to work on the hood. The chin part always takes a beating and this one was no exception, dented everywhere and ripped about 3 inches. The welding has been hammered and ground off somewhat in the picture. This is a flip front hood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (107.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-26-2020, 12:17 PM
Builder Junky!

Yesterday I took the two draglinks off and added four tierod end rubber boots to the list of things to get.
The brakes needed checking so I took a drum off and things looked good in there. I got the star wheel adjuster turning, put the drum back on, and adjusted it up. The pivot for the brake pedal was seized so I heated it up until I could move the pedal. I think I'll put grease nipples in the pivot.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:42 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Isn't it amazing how stuff suddenly cooperates as soon as you add some heat! Thanks for the updates MM, I'm enjoying following along.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:35 PM
Builder Junky!

Yes Bill, I like using the hot wrench on rust.
I bored holes in the brake pedal pivots and tapped them for grease nipples, then I heated them aggressively, got them moving, then screwed the zerks in and greased the pivots. I saw grease steam, but kept squirting grease in and pumping the pedals. They work now.
Unfortunately, my camera didn't work. I took a picture of the new grease zerks but the computer says I didn't. Who are you going to believe?