Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tractors

Tractors Yes, we love old tractors too... let's see 'um!

Old 02-13-2021, 03:26 PM
The Rat Captain

Thumbs up

Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2021, 07:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I was wondering if you could cut them but I didn't get back to my lap top to post the question. Nice job!
Old 02-13-2021, 11:22 PM
Builder Junky!

I wish I had thought of cutting them off a couple of days sooner, Kenny. The remaining questions are; can I find any more dowels, and how do I get the sawed off pieces out of the bellhousing? Well, I'm here to tell you, ---- it's a piece of cake. I walked out to my cold shed with a hammer, punch and trouble light, and whacked out a dowel from an old wide-block 318. Then, back in the shop, I shone the trouble light in the bellhousing and discovered why I couldn't drive the dowels further into the bellhousing. The hole is reduced in size and is threaded. I grabbed a three-eighths bolt, screwed it in the threads and pushed out the dowel, then went to the other side and screwed it out too.
I cleaned up and sandblasted the bellhousing and replaced one bushing for the clutch actuating cross shaft.
I tried to fit the new bellhousing in the tractor, and it is an inch too narrow to have the bolt holes line up. Rats.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

oh, well... just imagine being up there in the northern alberta winter with nothing to do...
Just stay at it Mac. I wish I were a bit closer. I would be over to help you drink coffee and look what to do next. nice work
Old 02-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

It sucks that the bells don't match up. Is there a way to machine it to make it work? The threaded holes in the block may have been foresight on the part of the manufacturer and you could have pushed the dowels the other direction .
Old 02-14-2021, 11:06 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

The old Hemis have the bolts in the flywheel to crank as you well know. I tapped the holes in the crank on my 392 so I could screw the bolts into the crank and not have to use bolts and nuts, easier on and off.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Builder Junky!

I'm sure this one is the same as the Hemi, OI, and I might just tap the crankshaft flange holes, also.
Kenny, I think you are right about foresight, but in my particular set of circumstances it wouldn't work. When everything is together there is only an eighth of an inch of clearance between the front of the flywheel and the back of the bellhousing front plate. If you have taken the flywheel out of there first then you could screw bolts into the dowel hole threads and pushed the dowels forward or the bellhousing back. I couldn't get the flywheel off without first taking the pressure plate off and I couldn't get the pressure plate off until I could turn the motor over to get at the hidden bolts, up inside the bellhousing. Cutting the the dowels off was the smart thing to do, I wish I'd have thought of it, sooner.
Dutch, I wish you were closer too, only, I don't think it would work out, you finding me work, but I could find you some work.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:32 PM
Builder Junky!

I got the bellhousing cleaned up, sandblasted, primed and painted. The alignment dowel holes in the little feet on the bell were set inwards too much and broken out, so I built up the little feet somewhat and ground them so I think the bellhousing will sit squarely in the middle of the belly frame and the output shaft will line up with the transmission input shaft. One end of the clutch activating cross-shaft was really worn out, so I welded it up and ground it down to fit and then put new bushings in the bellhousing for that shaft.
It was slow going trying to get the bearing off the clutch output shaft so I can get a new replacement tomorrow when I go to town. I should also get a new throw-out bearing.
I took the flywheel off, even though the bolts are weird, [no real head on them], and the nuts are between the crankshaft flange and the block. Did I mention that, that is not a nice place to have nuts, if the engine is seized, you can't turn the bolts, and the flywheel is still on there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2665.jpg (64.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2666.jpg (63.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2667.jpg (82.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2668.jpg (87.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:38 PM
Builder Junky!

A town day today and I learned more about red-tape, rig-a-marole. Our big bearing store has a sign out front that says 'the counter is closed to the public', 'phone this number'. I phoned the number and the girl said that I could take the old bearings around the back and place them in a drop box, and she'd look at them maybe tomorrow. My patience wore thin, mostly at her attitude, [she should have been working in a government office]. I went to an oldtime bearing and fabrication store and the guy behind the counter has been there thirty years. He found me workable bearings for the throw-out bearing and the clutch output shaft. AND, hanging on the wall was the stuff I needed to couple the clutch output to the transmission input shaft. Boy am I glad I got impatient with that first store. It seems that a bad attitude gives me a bad attitude.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:41 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Ya I hear you on the bad attitude Negativity goes a long way. Way too far. Glad you found what you needed.