Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tractors

Tractors Yes, we love old tractors too... let's see 'um!

Old 05-20-2021, 11:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Cub Cadet 2182

While it's not nearly as old as some of Mac's gems, this is my new-to-me acreage tractor that I'll be bringing back to a better state of maintenance and aesthetic condition.

This little sucker has a 3-cylinder 600cc Kubota gas engine that runs smooth like butter.

The Kwik-Way loader had been sitting in the elements for quite a few years, so I've started to paint and clean it up. We put it on and it definitely needs the wheel weights if you load the bucket or like traction. It's probably a little over 1,200 lb as it sits.

I've also got a snowblower and mower deck with bagger for it. This will mostly be used for yard duty and snow duty, I'm unlikely to use the mower deck much.

It has already been fun to use and play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210514_211530_01.jpg (96.0 KB, 44 views)

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:40 PM
Builder Junky!

I agree, Snopro, leave the tractor as a yard tractor. I find that the underslung lawn mower is nice on the lawn, but is a pain in the a$$ in the garden. It catches on the potato hills and you loose traction or the lawnmower is breaking the stems of the row of plants when you get close enough with the rotovator. I'm dreaming of making a pull-type hitch for my mower deck so I can pull it if I want to, or easily unhook it. Mine will be a 'trailing', 'off-to-the-side' mower so I can mow under the big spruce trees.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:00 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
I agree, Snopro, leave the tractor as a yard tractor. I find that the underslung lawn mower is nice on the lawn, but is a pain in the a$$ in the garden. It catches on the potato hills and you loose traction or the lawnmower is breaking the stems of the row of plants when you get close enough with the rotovator. I'm dreaming of making a pull-type hitch for my mower deck so I can pull it if I want to, or easily unhook it. Mine will be a 'trailing', 'off-to-the-side' mower so I can mow under the big spruce trees.
With this loader I have to take off the mower bracket, so it's a bit of a chore to put that back on even though the mower deck is super easyto remove/re-install. We also have a Cub Cadet zero-turn mower with a 54" deck, so the smaller 46" deck on this guy will likely be a shed ornament.

I don't have a tiller for this, we have a Honda 36" walk-behind rototiller. I used it the other day, it's an animal for sure. However, having the loader on this tractor will be so much more useful than having a second mower. We had a bunch of trees go down with the snowfall the other day so it will get a workout this weekend.

We bought all this equipment from the previous owners, some as part of the house sale and some separately. Everything was maintained, just not necessarily to the level I clean and maintain things.

As a sidenote, I was mowing last week with the zero-turn and it was agonizingly slow on any incline and when turning. I was worried that it was the hydrostatic transmission, but I replaced the drive belt (what a pain) and it was instantly fixed. What a relief!

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:28 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

SnowPro -- Was looking over some tractor threads and found your old one on the Cub Cadet 2182 you picked up. Have never seen one with a front loader & wheel weights before. Could you take a few more pictures of the 2182 & the 600 cc Kubota motor when you have time. Looks like a great little tractor.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:08 PM
Builder Junky!

Snopro, I forgot to tell you that you will really enjoy having that front end loader. I know I do. You probably know this by now.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by old28 View Post
SnowPro -- Was looking over some tractor threads and found your old one on the Cub Cadet 2182 you picked up. Have never seen one with a front loader & wheel weights before. Could you take a few more pictures of the 2182 & the 600 cc Kubota motor when you have time. Looks like a great little tractor.
Yeah, I definitely can for you! I'll be switching it over to the snowblower here after we return from vacation next week, so I'll get you some photos then.

It's heavier than it looks, around 1,000 lbs without the loader.

The loader was made by a third party by the name of Kwik-Way. I have been using it quite a bit and it's a great little tractor. With five 28"x24" sidewalk blocks in the bucket the rear wheels couldn't get much traction, so the wheel weights sure helped that situation. The rear wheels also have fluid in them.

These had some electrical issues, so I'll be doing some rewiring before winter to correct a few annoyances and get it in tip top shape. Right now it will click often when you try to start it, and it isn't charging properly all the time. Luckily, some Cub Cadet faithful have published new wiring diagrams to correct that situation and add relays in the process.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:16 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMac View Post
Snopro, I forgot to tell you that you will really enjoy having that front end loader. I know I do. You probably know this by now.
Absolutely. We built a concrete paver patio and digging down the 7" was significantly easier with the loader. Many other tasks around the yard are significantly easier with that loader and bucket.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:19 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thanks, looking forward to the pictures. Have a nice vacation.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:31 AM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

Neat little guy! I'm with MM, a front end loader can make you a one man army. I just had a week of getting 3 of the 4 tractors in running shape again. New clutches in the Kubota and some fuel blockage issues on the Farmtrac. Also replaced a broken hydraulic line on the RK. I live by myself and until I got my first loader, I didn't know what I was missing. Good score snopro!
Old 10-12-2021, 05:46 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

SP440 -- Where you able to get any pictures of the Kubota 600cc motor for us to look at? Thanks, hope your vacation was good.