Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my Miller 252 mig for everything and only use solid wire. The gasless wire sucks, you might as well be arc welding, having to chip off flux, not to mention the mess and lots of toxic fumes. The lift should make a good frame table, now I'm jealous :rolleyes::D

What do you use for gas? Argon? CO2? A mix? I've never welded with gas but my MIG is compatible. I might need to get a better machine for my plans. I'm better at welding with the stick than the MIG at this point, but MIG is a lot more forgiving, I find.

Haha yeah the lift makes so much a lot easier! I'm thrilled to finally have a garage that sparks envy in the hearts of others [ddd Several of my friends that come over have said exactly that "I have garage envy". [cl

I'm slowly getting the right tools to fill it to make the envy worthwhile :D

Got the front crossmember sorted out and made it from 1/4" plate, same as the yellow car, the whole front end and rad core support mount to it so it needs the beef. Put the front end under it and got the rear end in place, nothing welded at either end, waiting for my angle finder to show up on Friday. I think this is the first time I've not had to grind off old mounts on a differential - playing with new parts is fun :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3465.JPG
    IMG_3465.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3468.JPG
    IMG_3468.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 77
What do you use for gas? Argon? CO2? A mix? I've never welded with gas but my MIG is compatible. I might need to get a better machine for my plans. I'm better at welding with the stick than the MIG at this point, but MIG is a lot more forgiving, I find.

Haha yeah the lift makes so much a lot easier! I'm thrilled to finally have a garage that sparks envy in the hearts of others [ddd Several of my friends that come over have said exactly that "I have garage envy". [cl

I'm slowly getting the right tools to fill it to make the envy worthwhile :D

I use what they call steel mix, 75% C02 and 25% Argon. I've even even used it for stainless, though it spatters like crazy. Once you use solid wire and gas in your Mig, you'll never go back to flux core, it's just so easy to lay down a nice weld.

I use what they call steel mix, 75% C02 and 25% Argon. I've even even used it for stainless, though it spatters like crazy. Once you use solid wire and gas in your Mig, you'll never go back to flux core, it's just so easy to lay down a nice weld.

Thanks ZZ. I know what I'm going in search of this weekend [;)

Go man go, ZZ.
I have been using solid wire mig for a few years, but my welder is old and I think it hesitates electrically quite often. This makes me look like an even poorer welder than I really am. Anyhow, after a lot of whining in the right area, I now have a Christmas gift box lying on the shop floor. I haven't opened it yet, [I don't want to ruin the surprise], but [spoiler alert] the box has pictures on the side of a mig/stick welder.

Mounted the steering box today, made an adaptor plate to the frame as the mount bolts on the box need access from behind. Drag link angle is not too bad, with weight on it it should be near level so it should have minimal bump steer. I've seen some crazy angles on the drag link on some 'gassers', have to wonder how they drive....
Also got the front shocks mounted [;)[;):)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 29
Mounted the steering box today, made an adaptor plate to the frame as the mount bolts on the box need access from behind. Drag link angle is not too bad, with weight on it it should be near level so it should have minimal bump steer. I've seen some crazy angles on the drag link on some 'gassers', have to wonder how they drive....
Also got the front shocks mounted [;)[;):)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'll spoil the surprise for you, many of them bump steer like crazy!

Don't feel bad, zz, but it looks pro-built.[cl
Aw Jeez, now I'm embarrassed :eek:

I'll spoil the surprise for you, many of them bump steer like crazy!
I figured as much, I had a similar experience long ago after doing an axle flip on the front of my 55 pickup to lower it and the drag link was angled up severely. To add to the folly, I test drove it with no shocks - stomped on it and it veered toward the ditch - freaked out and hammered the brakes and it shot over into the left lane. :eek:. Turned around and putted home in shame and put the axle back under the leafs.:( I figured out the cure later, raising the steering box made it work.:rolleyes:

Looks fabulous ZZ. Pretty ingenious double plate mount for the steering box. That should let you lower it relatively easily if the bump steer is that much of an issue. The drag link angle doesn't look too terribly bad in the pictures, so hopefully it's not too drastic.

Looks fabulous ZZ. Pretty ingenious double plate mount for the steering box. That should let you lower it relatively easily if the bump steer is that much of an issue. The drag link angle doesn't look too terribly bad in the pictures, so hopefully it's not too drastic.

If I need to lower the drag link, I can always get a dropped pitman arm, I'd rather not have the steering box hanging lower. Need to wait and see when it gets weight on it.

Latest posts

Back