I Dont Know

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T DRIVER

I bought a 23 bucket T. The guy said it had a ( OLDS ) rear end in it and corvette breaks how true thats is I dont know !! is there away that I can identify , markings or numbers what it really is ???

pics would help[S:confused:

Later:cool:

What Skull said.... The late 50's to early 60's Olds rearends were once very popular, they look like a super sized a 55-64 Chev rearend, also very similar in appearance to a 9 inch Ford. If it's something newer - mid 60's and up, it's just a GM clone - 10 bolt, 12 bolt, etc.

Pics - must have pics...

My thinking is that would be a lot of work. The early Olds rears had a 5 on 5 inch bolt pattern. were all the early corvette had a 5 on 4 3/4 inch bolt pattern.

To make it work you would have to either drill a new bolt pattern in the drum or the axles. Then there is the question. will the corvette backing plate bolt up to the olds rear? And would the offset of the drum /backing plate be the same as the axle for that rear.

No way to tell without pictures or more info.

It's probably a regular GM 10 bolt with "Corvette" brakes. Just like every SBC magically becomes a "Corvette engine" when it is sold. :rolleyes:

Pics needed.

Where are you at in Iowa T-Driver? I'm in central Davenport. Wouldn't mind seeing what ya got...

Pics

This is on housing : G M 17 3726899 1178 or 1176 hard to read IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

I check the numbers 3726899 and it coming up 55-64 Chevy and 55-62 corvette

It has the drain plug at the bottom of the housing would make it 1957 or newer.

Is there a metal tag under the nut located in the 2 O'clock position of the carrier. The shape and number of holes in that tag will till you the rear ratio and if its a posi. On the newer rears, I think 1958 on up the gear ratio will be stamped into the carrier housing.

There is no TAG there are 10 bolts. Thank's for the information you did give me ,where did you get the info I look'd all over the internet last night could not find a thing. Do you have a Book with codes in it?

defently chevy and looks like a 1957 non posi Im 100% on that as im not im not all that great with decoding numbers lol :)

There is no TAG there are 10 bolts. Thank's for the information you did give me ,where did you get the info I look'd all over the internet last night could not find a thing. Do you have a Book with codes in it?

I do not have to mush info on these rear.

If there is a large P cast in the housing near were the numbers are it is a Posi.

You said it had no tag. Look on the passenger side of the carrier housing. There should be some numbers and letters stamped in the housing. That would be the gear ratio and the production date. some are stamp deep and easy to other are stamp light and may be real hard to see.

If there was a tag it would look like one of these.

Attachments

• chevy rear ID.jpg
    chevy rear ID.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 10
Examples of stampings and the large P

The last picture is of a stamping that is hard to see.

Attachments

• gm pois.jpg
    gm pois.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 14
  • gm rear 2.jpg
    gm rear 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 9
  • gm rear.jpg
    gm rear.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 12
  • gm rear1.jpg
    gm rear1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 11
rear end again

I do not have to mush info on these rear.

If there is a large P cast in the housing near were the numbers are it is a Posi.

You said it had no tag. Look on the passenger side of the carrier housing. There should be some numbers and letters stamped in the housing. That would be the gear ratio and the production date. some are stamp deep and easy to other are stamp light and may be real hard to see.

If there was a tag it would look like one of these.

I think I did see a letter "c" all by its self.

I can tell what it is not.....

It is not a drop out carrier from 60-64 full size pontiac....I am still trying to find a diff that match's but it sure looks like an older chevy style....

Thank's

It is not a drop out carrier from 60-64 full size pontiac....I am still trying to find a diff that match's but it sure looks like an older chevy style....

Thank's for the help Guess I know now that its Chevy power'd and has a Chevy Rear end. Lots of help Thank you again.

Ok

This is from a web site.....not sure if it helps.....the question was: I have a 57 chev with a differential casting # of 3726899. - the "expert's answer"

The same type of removeable center section was used in 55-64 pass cars and 56-62 Corvettes, and they are all totally interchangeable.
Second, THERE ARE NO IDENTIFYING NUMBERS on any 55-57 axle housing, period!
BUT, the removeable center section has (or should have) a 7-digit casting number, AND, maybe a casting date. It is fairly common for 55 center sections to NOT have a casting date and some 56 center sections may not have a casting date. EVERY single 57 center section that I have ever seen DOES HAVE a casting date.
Casting dates begin with a letter indicating month (A,B, C, etc), followed by 2-4 numbers. The number(s) IMMEDIATELY after the letter are the day of the month. The LAST number(s) are the year.
For example, a casting date of C236 (or C2356) would be Mar 23, 1956, and so on.
ALL of the above information is on the LEFT (driver) side of the center section along with a big GM (a number will follow the GM).
Over on the RIGHT (passenger) side of the center section will be (or should be) some STAMPED letters-numbers. Sometimes, these stamped letters-numbers are VERY difficult to see because of the paint-grease-crud that may cover them up. These stamped letters-numbers will contain two letters followed by 2-3 numbers. The two letters designate the gear ratio, and the numbers indicate the month-day the rear was ASSEMBLED (the casting date on the left side indicates the day the molten iron was poured into the mold).

Now, for the axle housing itself. As I mentioned above, there are ZERO numbers or letters on the housing.
The 55-56 housing has ONLY a filler plug on the back side of the center section of the housing.
The 57 housing (looks identical to a 55-6 housing) has BOTH a filler plug and a DRAIN plug on the bottom center of the housing. The casting number for a 57 NON-posi center case should be(NNN) NNN-NNNN If the rear was originally a posi, it will have a LARGE letter P cast on the driver side near the casting number.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back